Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Left handed help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Left handed help

Hello, I'm brand new to this web-forum, and have really enjoyed reading the threads and opinions on long-range rifles and shooting. I particularly found the 1st time custom builds and budget builds very informative. However, being left-handed a lot of information isn't useful to me, unless I'm going to break the bank. Being a novice/newbie and on a budget, I'd like to get opinions (or even links) for a lefty's 1st budget long-range (400-800 yards) rifle build. Feel free to include stock, action, caliber, barrel, optics, etc. information. (FYI - primarily a white-tail, coyote, and target shooter.) Thanks....
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: Left handed help

Well, being a lefty your options are limited as you know. One of thing that I like about savage is they do cater to left handers and for the money, you simply cannot beat them plus they are very accurate. Give savage a serious look.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 PM

I'm in precisely the same boat as you except that I'm looking for a little more long range performance prairie dog rifle.

You didn't mention a caliber. I've been looking at .243 and found either the savage 10 predator hunter, 16 weather warrior both with accustock or the 14 american classic. Remington has the CDL or a bunch or SPS variants.

I've heard bad things about the SPS stocks and new triggers that come on the lower end Remingtons. I don't know how much of that is true.

The Savage's seem to be pretty highly regarded, but I wonder whether their stocks are throw away, too.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Here are a couple of my LH Savages.

In the front is my 300wsm Krieger barreled 116FLHSS converted to DBM. Not including optics I have less than $600 in this rifle.

In the back is my 32" fluted 338 Edge 110 long/short action siting in a Stockade Pdog Special stock. Not including optics I have less than $1000 in this rifle.

You can make a fairly complete custom rifle with a Savage for fairly cheap since you don't have to pay a smith to do the work.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

I think the Savages offer a great deal in accuracy out of the box and are easily upgraded in do it yourself after market pieces. If you are interested in the I would suggest registering on Savage Shooters . Com and asking some of your questions there of the lefties. On stock options, triggers, barrels and such. even wich model to start with to build off. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 AM
Bronze Member

I'm pretty much a newbie on here too, and I'm also left handed, but I actually prefer right handed bolt action rifles. Does this make me weird???
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateisw View Post
I'm pretty much a newbie on here too, and I'm also left handed, but I actually prefer right handed bolt action rifles. Does this make me weird???
Just guessing, but it probably makes you right eye dominant. It's not that difficult to learn to work a bolt. It's a pain to use the wrong eye to see the target.