Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

LEFT HAND OR RIGHT HAND

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Bronze Member

LEFT HAND OR RIGHT HAND

I am looking into a long range build and one question that I cannot get resolved in the old noodle is left hand versus right hand action.

I'm a righty that shoots left (that whole eye dominance thing) and was considering getting a right hand action for the chassis. I expect that it will only be shot from a rest or prone, so the right hand can cycle while the left maintains grip.

Anybody have some insight into this arrangement?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 PM

Re: LEFT HAND OR RIGHT HAND

I have the same shooting deal and have made the switch and find that I can shoot as well as when I shot right handed.I have a bench gun with left bolt right port,and a Browning SS Stalker in 300 WinMag.Also shoot a left hand Browning 525 shotgun and have made that switch as well.My problem started with eye problems that led to a cornea transplant. I started shooting #1 Rugers for the left side.You can do it if yuo put your mind to it. Good luck!!!
Old Bear
Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

Surveyor,
I'm a natural lefty, but for years all of my hunting guns an early competions guns were true right handed actions due to cost. I bought used equipment ot get into the LR competition game. Custom actions were few and far between back then, let alone the choice of RR, RL, LR, or LL custom actions we have today.
And until 2 yrs ago, all of the hunting rifles (bolt action) were right handed also.

From an operating perspective: shooting a right bolt in your left shoulder isn't a big issue. I've done it hundreds of times hunting and competition. You just have to adjust. Welcome to a righthanded world.

The only thing I would add is the follow safety consideration:

When firing a right ported action from the left shoulder if you have any type of case failure, primer leak and/or peircing, or in the worst case.. a blowup, the port is pointing toward your face and eyes.
I have had 2 Federal primers fail on me in the last couple of years. These were not peircings but the edge of the primer cup failed and blew gases and bits or brass and metal through the extractor groove and out the ejection port. I was wearing glasses, so my eyes are fine. But if I could show you the lenses in those glasses it would raise your eyebrows. Also if you are shooting a right port action with a Sako extractor conversion be a little more careful. Some don't agree with me on this setup, but that is fine. Chances of a complete extractor coming out of that port are slim, but I'm not a gambler. There is a really good chance of smaller peices coming out though. That cut in a remington bolt to install a sako extractor is a big cut. So answer that question for yourself before pulling the trigger.

Just keep that in mind and load accordingly. I still have several RH actions (current competition guns are Left bolt, right port) but I don't shoot without glasses.

be safe and have fun!

Steve
Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

Steve,

I've been shooting left hand sporters for a while, left handed. Shot m16's left handed and got a real earful from the drill sergeants.

But I've been shooting some single shots, and varmint contours from the rest lately and I found myself loading with the right when I was loading by hand, just started thinking that the right bolt would probably be the way to go.

Right Bolt, left port would probably be best under the circumstances?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

I'm in the same boat - left eyed & right handed. I much prefer right handed bolt actions for shooting from the bench and shooting varmints from the prone position.

However, I prefer left handed actions for all of my long guns that will be shot from the standing or kneeling position, regardless of action type.

As for safety, I have fired many thousands of heavy handloads without a single incident (dangerous failure of any sort) so I really don't worry about it but I guess it is something to be considered.

Last edited by Varmint Hunter; 12-14-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Bronze Member

To be honest, all my offhand or field rifles are lever actions.
Right bolt - left port kind of hard to find in a long action, so I will probably just stick with R-R.

Thanks for your help, gentlemen.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

Would a right hand action be cheaper than a left hand action?
The only rifle I am aware of that you can change from left to right hand in the field without changing the point of impact is the Blaser rifle.