Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Lawton Action ??'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Lawton Action ??'s

Well, here it is a few years later, house finally built and maybe going to go ahead and get an action and get going on my RUM.
Still leaning toward the 7500 but want somebody to convince me it would be better than a stiller or any other custom 700 action???
Also want to go repeater, is that going to be an option?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

PM sent

Tooley Orion action pics as requested.

BH
Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Gold Member

Big_Tex
The Lawton 7500 is only available in Single Shot, the 7000 is the repeater model. But the 7500 is a longer action with a little more barrel tennon to support those longer heavier barrels. Both are 1.36 OD or Remington clone.
I have three 7500's and have been VERY pleased with them, I do not think you can go wrong with the Lawton.
Below is the link the their comparison page.
Dave

Welcome to Lawton Machine, LLC
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Bronze Member

Ditto to what Kirby and Dirtball are telling you, 7000 for a repeater or 7500 as a single shot. For mags, I have used the Wyatt and the Seekins, Seekins having a longer box for the Edge, though both are longer than the Rem. You can ask Glenn at Seekins about bases too. Lawton actions are "Remington" clones, but the rear tang is flat on top and doesn't match the same stock contour as a Rem. and requires building up to match on some stocks. I have been pleased with mine. I have also used the Stiller actions and IMHO they are comparable. By the way, both detachable mags are center feed and require opening the REAR of the mag cutout. Good luck, hope you get your rifle built, call it the "rec room" addition!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

If I had a choice I would take the Stiller but that is only based on the one Lawton I had in hand and hope this one just slipped through quality control. All of the Stillers were clean although I feel they could tighten the bolt fit a little on the predators I've used and my Diamondback. The Pierce action I recently checked out is a quality piece and worth a look, my next build will be on one.