Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

LA or SA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

LA or SA

Sure its probably been asked before but, if I build a 7mm WSM will a LA be a better decision so I can take advantage of seating depth or will a SA be just fine to seat out the bullets and still fit in the mag well.

Im thinking about shooting 168 Gr. berger VLDs so not an extremely long bullet.

Or would I be better to build a 7MM rem mag and not worry about the WSM?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: LA or SA

I went with the 7mm WSM in a long action. I didn't want to single load any rifle.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Well there's nothing the 7mm WSM can do better than the 7mm Rem Mag so to me it's a no brainer.

The Short and ultra short magnums have a "coll factor" about them but to me they are mostly a novelty.

Some guys want to go with the short actions for a perceived weight benefit but in truth you are just talking about a few ounces difference.

I shot the 7mm Rem Mag from about 1977 till I fell in love wit the 7mm STW in about 1990 and it is probably the most versatile caliber ever invented, for shooting everything from small varmints to the biggest game N. America has to offer with great ballistics and performance with very tolerable recoil.

Now I just do it a little bit faster with the STW... .
Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

I did a 270-7 wsm on a long action and it is sweet. 180 gr berger at 3040 fps and it is scary accurate. The only thing is if you go long action you need a center feed mag because the case and action rails do not feed well. If you buy the kiwk klips system for $90 for cabelas its easy and works great for this project.( but there is nothing wrong with the 7 rem either). I also did a 280 ai and shoot 168 bergers at 3020 fps and it works great for everything.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

The 2things holding me back form going to a different caliber is I already have all the dies and reloading stuff for a 7mm magnum and 280AI, so who knows I may just build another 280AI on a sporter stock. My thumbhole isn't very user friendly for treestands and ladder stands. I have the 700LA action, HS precision stock, only thing I really need is a barrel and I should be set to go except for the gunsmith, but I already know who is going to build it for me.
Dave Tadder at Tadder Precision built my 280AI and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadawg2009 View Post
The 2things holding me back form going to a different caliber is I already have all the dies and reloading stuff for a 7mm magnum and 280AI, so who knows I may just build another 280AI on a sporter stock. My thumbhole isn't very user friendly for treestands and ladder stands. I have the 700LA action, HS precision stock, only thing I really need is a barrel and I should be set to go except for the gunsmith, but I already know who is going to build it for me.
Dave Tadder at Tadder Precision built my 280AI and it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.
If you decide to go that route give me a buzz. I have a nice shilen select stainless barrell in .284 that I've never done anything with I'd part with reasonably.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
If you decide to go that route give me a buzz. I have a nice shilen select stainless barrell in .284 that I've never done anything with I'd part with reasonably.
Whats the specs and price? Whatever I build will be .284. I have a HS precision stock from a 700PSS so I want a sendero contour or something similar that will finish at 26"