Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Knoxx CompStock, is it BS? VERDICT PAGE 2.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Bronze Member

Knoxx CompStock, is it BS? VERDICT PAGE 2.

I just ordered one of these for my upcoming .338 Edge build, has anyone tried one? I'm skeptical to say the least, I figure it will throw off accuracy at least by a small amount due to the extra movement. Anyhow does anyone on here have one? I'm trying to avoid using a brake, I had one on a rifle when I shot an elk while I was perched on a rock with a BIG rock immediatley to my left. It only takes once to learn a lesson like that. The videos on their website are sure convincing...

Last edited by Stevewix; 01-14-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Had one!

I trade/bought a 246 win mag with one. Needless to say I have a Joel Russo A5l now and could not be happier/
Pros--Reduced felt recoil by a bunch.

Cons.
Way to hard to hold consistent from shot to shot.
The scope comes back really close to the eye if you know what i mean. If you do not have a large eye relief, get used to ducking the scope.
I felt like the gun was moving all over the place, way to much movement. Lost the target on recoil.

I would not recommend it-but that’s just my opinion, it must work for some people or they wouldn't be selling them.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewix View Post
I just ordered one of these for my upcoming .338 Edge build, has anyone tried one? I'm skeptical to say the least, I figure it will throw off accuracy at least by a small amount due to the extra movement. Anyhow does anyone on here have one? I'm trying to avoid using a brake, I had one on a rifle when I shot an elk while I was perched on a rock with a BIG rock immediatley to my left. It only takes once to learn a lesson like that. The videos on their website are sure convincing...
I have not tried 1 but have looked at them closely and figure it would be nearly impossible to make it into a truly accurate rifle, in a heavy hitting caliber I would think getting scoped in the eye would be a real concern.
If it is for recoil reduction, rather than a brake, why not use a mercury recoil suppressor like C&H makes that is imbedded inside the rifles stock?
They reduce recoil about 35% and only add a few ounces in weight.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long ranger View Post
I have not tried 1 but have looked at them closely and figure it would be nearly impossible to make it into a truly accurate rifle, in a heavy hitting caliber I would think getting scoped in the eye would be a real concern.
If it is for recoil reduction, rather than a brake, why not use a mercury recoil suppressor like C&H makes that is imbedded inside the rifles stock?
They reduce recoil about 35% and only add a few ounces in weight.
I've never tried that before, I've always wondered what a leaking mercury capsule would do to an expensive stock. I'm not recoil sensitive btw. If it sucks, I'll take it off
Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewix View Post
I've never tried that before, I've always wondered what a leaking mercury capsule would do to an expensive stock. I'm not recoil sensitive btw. If it sucks, I'll take it off
I have never had or heard of a suppressor leaking, but agree to have mercury in anything is always a concern, being nasty stuff by nature we now have found. Funny thing is 50 years ago we used to play with the stuff and never was concerned, but now.......
If you do use a Knoxx PLEASE let us know how you make out.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

I have installed the M4 style adjstable LOP on several tactical shot guns that they work very well at recucing recoil , I can't say about the rilfe models but its the same desgine. I don't think that it moves enough to have the scope catch you anymore than it would without it. If I were gonna build a hard kicking un that was to be shot often and wasen't allowed to use a brake I'd try one.

But a prpoperly made contured and fitted wood stock with a good pad will recuce recoil ALOT , that and a god brake is had to beat.

As a side note I don not use one on my personal tactical shotgun ,I have ashort Speedfeed with a ground to fit Pachmeyer. I don't shoot the gun more than 15-20 times and it s not that often , the Speedfeed stock fits me better and is very strong that why I went that route
Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

I was considering one of them for my Edge build too,but decided to go with a Manners and the new Wyatt's magazine system.It would be interesting to hear back how long of a cartridge that stock's magazine area will take.