Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

kick-o-meter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

kick-o-meter

once again i appreciate all the advice and opinions that have been offered to me on this informative forum and would like a few more opinions, this time on the kick of other rifles that i'm interested in purchasing.
i have have recently purchased a 300 win mag with a brake and just returned from purchasing ammo to shoot sunday morning. while searching through the various calibers i noticed that the 338 win mag was basically the same size as the 300 win mag and that the 300 ultra mag was larger than either.
as a novice i heeded the advice of several of you longrangers in avoiding the 338 lupua because the kick might cause me to aquire a flinch.
my question is just where does the 300 ultra mag stand in relation to the 300 win mag and the 338? i realize that most 338 calibers especially the lupua come with a brake and will a brake make alot of difference on an 300 ultra mag?
again,
thanks again, your generous opinions are saving me alot of time and money.
post script:
flash: sunday evening in north texas near dallas,
three arabics, one sporting a tunic (brownish red towel) on his head and masks around their faces tried to rob and assault an eighty old couple as they arrived home from a local gun show. as they opened fired on the elderly retired dentist and his wife, she produced a handgun and rushed towards them firing at each and striking at least one of the ak47 toating bad guys and making them retreat. details where vague at the time but will post corrections asap. the couple avoided any wounds but their vehicle was not as lucky. it's strange that not much was mentioned in the media of this incident.

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: grandadmorgan ]
Old 09-14-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: kick-o-meter

sorry, but i can't help you on the kick-o-meter, but i do know the couple, that lady is Pat, Doc's wife. WAY TO GO PAT
Old 09-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Grandad, at first I thought you were making that up, then I read the post after yours.

Glad that I live in the great state of legally packing Texas. Now if we could convince those other states.

Packin big iron and shootin hot lead
Old 09-15-2002, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

GrandDad,

Try this link. It will give you a mathmatical answer to your question, good for comparsion purposes. http://benchrest.com/sst/recoil.html

Nodak7mm
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Member #92
Old 09-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

hey texas,
Doc & his wife are ffl dealers in north texas, in fact i had a display table set up across from them last weekend at the mesquite gun show and i had to run those tunic (towel) heads away from my table. i told them that nothing on my table was for sale and was not to be touched, it got a rise from the crowd.
in fact i was called in regards to identify them when captured. if you have any other doubts, talk to chris at s.w.f.a. he read about it and saw a brief description on tv.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

nodak7mm,
thanks alot, just what i needed and more.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

Grandad I meant no direspect [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] , it this world of ours now somethings sound so far fetch( more like unbeliveable)but, they are true. I am very glad that they stood up and didn't get hurt.

Packin big iron and Shootin hot lead.