Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Ken Farrell Bases and Rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Ken Farrell Bases and Rings?

Does anyone have any input on Ken Farrell bases and rings? I am rounding up items to use on a custom I'm doing and I am thinking of using these on a flat top Savage short action. A good friend in the sniper community said he heard something about having to bed these bases to the action. The Sharp Shooter Supply website says nothing to this effect. How would you bed a base to the action anyway? I know Badger or Nightforce bases would be better but I am trying to keep cost down without sacrificing a great amount of quality. Any input appreciated.

dc
Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

Re: Ken Farrell Bases and Rings?

complete directions come with the bases, its not hard, and you use JB weld or a simular 2 part epoxy. I did mine and only takes a few min. to do.
JS
Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

James,

Why is it necessary to do this with the Ken Farrells but not with some of the others? I'm afraid that if I decide to swap the components to another rifle or swap another rifles components to this one, the top of the action will be a total disaster.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Bedding the base to the action is not uncommon with any of the makers out their.
On my duty rifle that I know is never gonna get screwed with I actualy glued the bases to the action. I cleaned the hell out of the action where than base goes and lightly scuffed the bottom of the base and cleaned the same way then use used a super strong 2 part epoxy and screwed it down.. The action scope mount holes were opened up to 8-40 and the base used is an IOR unit.

I'm not to sure if their is realy any positive outcome from bedding the bases , never realy checked it out just always did it

Anyway use a realy good release agant on the screws and the top of the action , use a thin even coating and let it dry totaly (i use Brownells accra release) then apply the epoxy to the bottom of the base , its not gonna take much at all just an even coat then screw that rascle down snug then back off about a quarter turn
A word of advise, mask off the area around the action where the base is not gonna be use plenty of tape as some epoxy alway ends up dripping someplace and their will generaly be a good bit squeeze out from under the base when it is tightend down.
After doing several guns with bases from IOR ,Badger ,Ed Brown and Farrel , I can tell you that their will only be a paper thin layer of epoxy.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

Ahhh! I never thought about using a release agent! I was picturing an action top after using an air chisel to get the base off! Not a pretty mental image [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I don't know that there would ever be a need to remove the base but you never know. The release agent thing makes sense, though. Can anyone attest to the quality of the Farrell's?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

I have used two on friends guns and they both took the standard Picatinny rings although I have heard on more then one occosian that the rings would not mate properly.
From now on though I will probably not use the farrel bases as for the same price or realy close you can get a Badger , IOR or Near. But from the guys I know that use the Farrel produts they like them.
I don't like the way Farrel rings look though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

actally they come off rather easy, I replaced my farrel bases with a 0 MOA set and they basicly fell off when I removed the screws. and I didn't use any release agent, just whatever oil was on the reciever when I mounted them. even the screws came out easier than I thought, I just put the torx driver in the slot and tapped the driver with a small hammer as I turned the driver to loosen the screws, they broke loose easily.
JS
BTW I bedded the bases because it was reccomended by the maker. and will bed all weaver type bases in the future.