close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Reply

Just Starting Out....Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 27
Just Starting Out....Questions

This entire thread is basically aimed at all of you more experienced guys or folks who have alot more knowledge in the build up of a specific projects.

What are the best aftermarket works I can do to my rifle to improve its performance?
I'm on about 1500.00 budget for any add-ons, fixes, or replacements.

I really want to keep the barrel though. Love the black inletted flutes.

the scenario is:

Factory Remington Sendero SF II .300 win.

Aftermarket Stockys Alum. pillar bedded LRV Laminated Thumbhole Stock

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Mar 2007
    Location: Montana
    Posts: 2,588
    Re: Just Starting Out....Questions

    What is it not doing now? What are you shooting out of it? With out knowing much, first thing that comes to my mind is reloading. I have found that re-barreling a factory rifle that does not shoot well has produced good results for not a ton of money. I am sure that you can duplicate the coolness of the factory barrel. The ones that shoot really well are very cool no matter what they look like.

    Give us a little more info.

    Steve
    __________________
    Hammer Bullets
    Advanced Technology
    Simply Better


    To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: Just Starting Out....Questions

    Agree with Steve. How is your rifle performing now? There are always the basic things to check like...

    Make sure all action and scope scews are properly torqued.

    Make sure you have a good scope.

    Make sure the bore isn't over fouled.

    After that I would probqbly start with tunning the trigger.

    Then you might consider having the action bedded, but if you plan on getting the action blueprinted, you might want to have that done first.

    You can also have the barrel recrowned.

    IMO, hand loading is a must for precision shooting and you should use good quality dies. It really helps to have good measurement tools to ensure your cases and bullets are concentric. There's a lot of good reading ing the reloading forum and some good articles in the techincal article section.

    Welcome to LRH and good shooting,

    Mark
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 01-29-2010, 12:19 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Posts: 27
    Re: Just Starting Out....Questions

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Agree with Steve. How is your rifle performing now? There are always the basic things to check like...

    Make sure all action and scope scews are properly torqued.

    Make sure you have a good scope.

    Make sure the bore isn't over fouled.

    After that I would probqbly start with tunning the trigger.

    Then you might consider having the action bedded, but if you plan on getting the action blueprinted, you might want to have that done first.

    You can also have the barrel recrowned.

    IMO, hand loading is a must for precision shooting and you should use good quality dies. It really helps to have good measurement tools to ensure your cases and bullets are concentric. There's a lot of good reading ing the reloading forum and some good articles in the techincal article section.

    Welcome to LRH and good shooting,

    Mark
    thank you for the welcome and yes my initial question was pretty broad based. My rifle probably shoots alot better than I can but I throughly clean it with butch's did a known proper 20 shot breack in clean....and shoot form a 3 min cold barrel.

    Right know Im shooting simple factory remington ammo 180 grain Swift Scirocco Bonded. It shoots anywhere from 1" 3 shot's to 2" . I haven't put the stocky's thumbhole on yet but I will be.

    I wanted to just do some basic accurizing to it. Maybe the recoil lug, truing the lugs....ect. Im sending the bolt out for cosmetic fluting and figure might as well get the lugs trues seeing how it was fairly inexpensive.

    As far as hand loading I simply don't have the time literally. I would like to know though if there is an outfit where you can buy custom handloaded ammo. I understand that not all ammo will shoot the same but want some place to start.

    thanks
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: Just Starting Out....Questions

    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burrdock View Post
    thank you for the welcome and yes my initial question was pretty broad based. My rifle probably shoots alot better than I can but I throughly clean it with butch's did a known proper 20 shot breack in clean....and shoot form a 3 min cold barrel.

    Right know Im shooting simple factory remington ammo 180 grain Swift Scirocco Bonded. It shoots anywhere from 1" 3 shot's to 2" . I haven't put the stocky's thumbhole on yet but I will be.

    I wanted to just do some basic accurizing to it. Maybe the recoil lug, truing the lugs....ect. Im sending the bolt out for cosmetic fluting and figure might as well get the lugs trues seeing how it was fairly inexpensive.

    As far as hand loading I simply don't have the time literally. I would like to know though if there is an outfit where you can buy custom handloaded ammo. I understand that not all ammo will shoot the same but want some place to start.

    thanks
    If you're going to get the lugs lapped then you probably want to get the barrel set back a little for headspace. That's something you can figure out with your smith. A new recoil lug wouldn't be a bad idea eother. And you might consider a new firling pin assembly.

    Changing stocks out may have a big effect on how your rifle shoots. If it was me, i would definitely have the laminate bedded for the action. I'm surprised your Sendero isn't shooting any better than that. You might give the presnt stock a good looking over to see if there are any irregularities. You might find a high spot or something else not quite right. One of our members found a high spot in his HS stock and sanded it down and that fixed his Sendero..

    There are a number of custom ammo makers but I couldn't give you a reference. If you goggle it you'll find some sites. You might start another thread on that in the rifles, barrels and bullets forum and see if you can get some references.

    Mark
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2006
    Location: az
    Posts: 3,168
    Re: Just Starting Out....Questions

    i have shot/reloaded for 5 300 win senderos they all shot good to great. they had the triggers adjusted and vais muzzle brake. that is all. no bedding no different stock. good scopes.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2007
    Posts: 27
    Re: Just Starting Out....Questions

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    If you're going to get the lugs lapped then you probably want to get the barrel set back a little for headspace. That's something you can figure out with your smith. A new recoil lug wouldn't be a bad idea eother. And you might consider a new firling pin assembly.

    Changing stocks out may have a big effect on how your rifle shoots. If it was me, i would definitely have the laminate bedded for the action. I'm surprised your Sendero isn't shooting any better than that. You might give the presnt stock a good looking over to see if there are any irregularities. You might find a high spot or something else not quite right. One of our members found a high spot in his HS stock and sanded it down and that fixed his Sendero..

    There are a number of custom ammo makers but I couldn't give you a reference. If you goggle it you'll find some sites. You might start another thread on that in the rifles, barrels and bullets forum and see if you can get some references.

    Mark

    thanks mark very informative. Like I said about the rifle and me It probabley can shoot much better than I but I do use a lead sled DFT and am getting better.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Just Starting Out....Questions
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Howa 1500 Questions in .223 Questions jaredagreen Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 15 04-02-2011 02:35 AM
    starting out Gator26 The Basics, Starting Out 2 08-07-2009 09:08 PM
    XCR 338 RUM + HS Precision stock. Questions, Questions, Questions raisincenter The Basics, Starting Out 2 11-28-2007 02:44 PM
    need help starting out ace The Basics, Starting Out 9 07-15-2003 06:49 PM
    just starting out leon 22-250 The Basics, Starting Out 1 03-24-2002 07:12 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC