Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Just starting to learn, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just starting to learn, need help

I like A-Bolts a lot. Our family now has five of them--my Dad just picked up a 325. He took deer, elk and antelope with it this year.

They're typically very accurate out of the box for such light rifles with skinny barrels. We haven't tried any of the Varmint/Eclipse models with heavier barrels so I can't say if they'd be worth it or not. Here's my 300 RUM:

In a couple months I should be able to report on accuracy potential with a quality (Lilja) tube screwed on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2006, 04:41 PM
SPONSOR

Stay away from Browning and Winchester. I sell these things and have trouble sleeping at night when I sell one of these to someone. Especially the Win. I've seen some very sloppy machining on various parts of the Win. I really don't have anything to base my opinion on the Browning off of, other than the fact that there are not very many aftermarket parts for them and you very rarely here of a smith building a rifle on one. Go w/a Savage or Tikka. I think both will have more accuracy potential. Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

I would also stay away from the browning or winchester. I just havent had the high rate of success with them as I do the remingtons or savages. I hate to say this because I'll admit to being a die hard remington fan but the savage will probably out shoot a remington when dealing with factory rifles. But the remington will be right on its heals if not equal with it. I dont think you could do wrong with the 300wsm or the 7mm wsm. Have a nice day
Old 01-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

'fish", It's kinda like asking whether ya should buy a Chevy or a Ford, huh? Well, I got both a 7mm Mag and a 30 cal. Mag. Either one will do the job up here. I personally prefer the 7mm Mag cause I prefer 7mm, period. Mine is a Browning too, however it has been dramitically altered with a custom thumbhole stock. Browning A-Bolts are ok, but I suspect that the gunsmiths on this forum will tell you that their factory synthetic stocks are made by Rubbermaid and restocking one is a PITA cause there is virtually nothing to bed to on the action. They have to build pillars in order to bed them correctly, hence it's an expensive proposition. The short bolt throw is nice and they have a pretty good trigger. As for the WSM's , again, personally I dont care for them. They dont do anything any better than the "fullsize" magnums. All this is purely one man's opinion and by no means am I any kind of expert. Good luck with your upcoming move up here to God's country. Please, dont encourage anyone else to move up, ok? I kinda like the wide open spaces!!!! More critters than people, YEAH!!!!!
Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 01-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

I use a savage116 300wm great rifle, and pretty cheap. One problem i have with savage, (and thats all i use) Is the snthetic stocks are alittle on the cheesy side and the recoil pads on those stocks are pure crap. So you might have to spend the money to put a new recoil pad on (at most 40 if you do it)or change the stock (probably starting at arouund 100).

Savage offers a package deal that you get along with the rifle some other stuff part of it being a scope rings and bases. The scope is not the best optics but it will work for awhile if you want to spread the expenses out. Simmons 3-9x40 was the last package i saw.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
They have to build pillars in order to bed them correctly, hence it's an expensive proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good point. I would expect most gunsmiths would charge more because it is labor intensive (at least it was for me!). I avoided the cost by learning how to do it myself--used regular ol' Rem 700 pillars, just ground them to fit. It's somewhat of a PITA but very doable for anybody willing to learn how to pillar bed and bed in general. It just takes a bit more time.

Another option, if getting a McMillan stock, is to just have them do it. Their bedding jobs are first rate, from what I hear and I don't believe they charge any more for doing an A-Bolt. I'd confirm they were going to pillar bed it by speaking with them first though--I know some gunsmiths who pillar bed everything else only do the front of A-Bolts. I'm assuming McMillan would do a job at least as good, probably better than I did. In fact, I'd really like to see pics of an A-Bolt they had done just to see if I did it right! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

MT4XFore, are yours pillar bedded? If so, I'd like to see pics if you have any.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

I recently got a Savage Mod 16 in .300 WSM, my first high-power rifle after 30+ years of pistol shooting. Couldn't be more pleased. Shooting off the bench with a bi-pod it stays well under MOA at 100yds with my initial attempts at load development. The recoil was a bit much at first, so I got a Limb-Saver slip-on recoil pad, and that really cut down the trauma, even if it doesn't add to the asthetics. . The synthetic stock does flex a bit, but if you get good clearance before tightening things up, it seems to avoid hitting the barrel. Now if I can just find an accessable range over 100yds here in NOVA, I'll try it at distance.