Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Just starting to learn, need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 02:47 PM

Just starting to learn, need help

My home was broken into recently and they took all of my guns. I hope to be moving from Georgia to Montana next year, and I will be buying one rifle to start with. I need something to hunt Elk, White-tail, and maybe some other criters that I have never seen here in Georgia. I would like advice on rifle, caliber, and optics. I will only be able to spend $1000.00 to start with.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just starting to learn, need help

Caliber is easy. 300 WSM. Will handle up to the 200 gr very well but really shines with 180s which is more than enough for anything except large bear. Seems to have up to 2x barrel life compared to other 30 cal magnums and slightly less felt recoil. Factory cartridges everywhere now.

Guns- can make strong arguement for both savages, winchesters and rem off the shelf. I just bought a Rem 700 SPS (24" barrel) for $439 in 300 WSM. Will have my smith lap the lugs, adjust the trigger and I am changing stocks. Cost will be about $250-300 more. Most factory guns can be worked over with lugs, trigger and bedding for under $200.

Scopes- for the money the Nikon series ($300)is hard to beat. So are sightons also.

BH
Old 01-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

I would go with a wsm in either an 300 or 7mm. savage or remington. As for optics I dont have suggestions unless you can afford burris or night force. There the only ones I have really dealt with personally and I like both but they cost more $$$$ than your wanting to spend. Hope you can get more good info from others.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Well, It's either the 7mm Rem Mag or the 300 wsm. What do you guys think about the Tikka for a factory rifle.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

I have a Savage mod.116 weather warrior in 300 RUM the SAK mod that has a brake and is pillar bedded, shoots bug holes and have shot small group at 635yds.+or- 2" all I did to it was adjust trigger to 1 3/4lbs. has a 8.5X25 Leupold on using 180gr handloads. I don't advise getting one of these as it doesn't kick much and is deadly accurate and you would probably waste too much ammo! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

I have a winchester and a savage. I like them both. Accutrigger is very nice, and the rifle's $200 less then the Winchester. The Winchester has a boss/brake which is nice.

Cousin Johny got a Tikka a little while ago 270wsm. This is a good lookin', accurate rifle. The trigger is nice (self adjustable), the stock is much more rigid than the winchester or savage, and the price is in the middle. Nice gun. Has a plastic clip, I'm reserving judgement on. And as I don't own it, I haven't taken it apart. Out of the box, it shoots factory loads into 5/8" at 100.

Between a 7mag and 300 wsm, I choose the 300. Never could convince myself to buy a 7mm. The 270 gets 'er done without the wear and tear on shooter and equiptment. Suppose by the same lines, so does the 06 or 308. But I own a 300wm. Still, unless my wife wants the 270, I shoot it.

Optics:
I favor Nikon and Burris, as I think you get the most bang for your dollar. Burris offers the ballistic plex. I like it.

You can put any of these rifles and scopes together for $1000.

Sorry to hear about your break in. I recently had a favourite saddle stolen. Fortunately, by touring pawn shops for a week, I found it. Wish I'd of been home to use one of them guns....
Old 01-15-2006, 02:33 PM

What can you guys tell me about the Browning A-bolt rifles. Just want to cover all the bases before I make a decision. Thanks for all the help. Sounds like it will be a 300wsm.