Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Just getting started..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Just getting started..

I was referred to this site by another member and I was wandering if I could get some insight. I'm wanting to work on my marksmanship and become a more proficient shooter. I'm 24 and have shot throughout my life and have read a lot about shooting in general but I would like to try and focus more on marksmanship.

I was just wandering what some of the users here would suggest as far as a rifle or caliber that I could start learning true marksmanship and precision shooting. I would like to compete in competitions from time to time if monetary funds allows but overall my main focus is just on becoming a more proficient marksman.

Thanks,
freed0m
Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Just getting started..

22LR, pick your favorite brand/style.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

22 lr is always a good choice. I think the 17 HMR is a really good one too because the guns are usually so accurate that the groups can show you that you're making errors.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the reponses.

Is there any distinct advantage to .17 hmr vs. .22 lr?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

If you have shot before, skip the rimfires. Go with a .243.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 PM

I guess I should have been fully forth coming with some information. I have shot before so being comfortable with a rifle is no problem for me. I already have an old Marlin 780 .22 lr that belonged to my grandpa and have put serveral rounds down range with it; but noting in the way of serious precision practice, just plinking.

I also own a model 70 30-06 that has been shot about 100 rounds but again no serious attempts at precision.

I also have components to start reloading with and want to start getting into that arena as well.

Should I spend a lot of extra time with the .22 developing my skills or should I use the 30-06 and learn how to work with a large centerfire rifle cartridge?

Are there any good rifles to start with in a .243? Every rifle I have ever looked at didn't have fast enough twist rate to stabilize heavier bullets that could be used for long range shooting if the situation presented itself.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freed0m man View Post
I guess I should have been fully forth coming with some information. I have shot before so being comfortable with a rifle is no problem for me. I already have an old Marlin 780 .22 lr that belonged to my grandpa and have put serveral rounds down range with it; but noting in the way of serious precision practice, just plinking.

I also own a model 70 30-06 that has been shot about 100 rounds but again no serious attempts at precision.

I also have components to start reloading with and want to start getting into that arena as well.

Should I spend a lot of extra time with the .22 developing my skills or should I use the 30-06 and learn how to work with a large centerfire rifle cartridge?

Are there any good rifles to start with in a .243? Every rifle I have ever looked at didn't have fast enough twist rate to stabilize heavier bullets that could be used for long range shooting if the situation presented itself.
Look at savage's website. It should list the twist rate, I'm sure there will be one fast enough.

If not, look into a 308 Winchester.