Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Just getting into LRH and looking for advice on my rig..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Just getting into LRH and looking for advice on my rig..

Some more thoughts on Horizontal Stringing.

I had not mentioned the obvious, but since you state "just getting into" I'll mention it too.

Flirting with 1/2 moa from a hard kicking 300 with a factory barrel is doing pretty good actually, but don't overlook the wind. Even a 300 will get blown off side to side some with wind changes. Even when you think its a tail wind it can blow you back and forth side to side. You can get nearly 1/2 of your total horizontal drift due to a wind blowing from 5:00 or 7:00 and without watching wind flags it can be real hard to notice that change and it would be back and forth and double if the wind is changing from 5 to 6 to 7 to 5, ect.

Even if wind is not causing this issue now, it will be when you start really reaching out there. Lot's of things can cause horizontal, but I've mentioned the 3 most common in my opinion. Barrel warp w/ heat, change in seating depth needed and tons of things could be the culprit too but work on the things that you can quickly or easily change first.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SBruce; 09-09-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

That was pretty much the direction i was leaning with it... I've been extra diligent of my technique on my last few range outings and the horizontal stringing seems to have lessened...also kept the rifle cooler for the last couple trips...3 shots, 2 min inbetween shots n stop for 10 min...then repeat. Barrel never got hot enough that you wouldn't want to hold on to it...probably a combination of barrel heat and technique. I'll be changing primers for my next trip n see what's gonna happen. My thought on this is, I've got a pretty nice 200gr Nosler AB load and a pretty nice hornady 208 amax load, I've averaged my velocities through load development to this point(around 40 rds for each) to build my range cards, lately, I've been using my range outings to fine tune these loads and collect additional velocity data. I figure by the time I use one to hunt with, I should have 50-100 rounds worth of velocity data with which I can rework my range cards to come closer to a true average. Besides, it gives me a good excuse to keep shooting it!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you're well on your way then.

Have Fun and Good Luck.