Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Just getting into it...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Just getting into it...

E.R. Shaw barrels are pretty good as I have 2 of them in a bull contour.308 and 7 mag . As far as case prep clean your brass an inside case necks and primer pockets. I use cci primers in some calibers an fed mag match in others, Its always what your gun likes. The more time you spend prepping your brass and bullets the easier the groups will come together, measure, measure, measure ! consistency ....
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Don't know much at all about Shaw barrels. I tend to stick with the barrel makers who provide winning tubes on the competition level. Otherwise, I feel like I'm wasting my time. As to replacement bbl contour, for your caliber, I'd go with at least a #4 or #4.5 10T and 25-26" long.
what derek said plus- i have never shot in competition against a shaw barrel. weigh this measure that it won't shoot like a krieger/r emington or sako/hart.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM

I was informed that the Brownings are not meant to be rebarrelled since they use the red lock tight.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

If your wanting to shoot a lot of target, the new tube is a good idea if you can find a smith that will re-barrel a browning.

If the gun already shoots good, I would keep the barrel and use it as a hunting rifle. When you shoot targets with it just keep an eye on how hot the tube is getting. Never shoot back to back (unless at game) and between rounds keep the action open for cooling. I do this with a sporter weight .338 RUM (a lot more pow) and it works well.
Then I would buy myself a target rifle (SENDURO or Coyote light). The rest of the advise has been sound thus far, going with a remmy might be easier/more cost effective in the long run.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
what derek said plus- i have never shot in competition against a shaw barrel. weigh this measure that it won't shoot like a krieger/r emington or sako/hart.
Are we shooting benchrest competition ? or paper targets and hunting game ?
Can you prove that statement ron ? I will upload some pics later.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Gold Member

I think everyone is getting a little carried away here. The first thing to do is start reloading and see if you can come up with an accurate load with your current rifle as-is. You don't need a 1/2 MOA gun to shoot at 500-600 yards. 1 MOA is more than enough, and you might easily be able to get there with fine tuning your loads. Start there and see what happens before investing $300+ in a rebarrel.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpro440 View Post
Are we shooting benchrest competition ? or paper targets and hunting game ?
Can you prove that statement ron ? I will upload some pics later.
Snow prow - i can't prove it. none of the competitors i know use a shaw barrel.