Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

Yep I stand corrected, it is not a short action. I do think it is 338-06 is a flexible round for hunting though. I wish you could get more commercial ammo for it so I would not be committed to always reload for it. Another cartridge I really like but don't have because I do not want to have to reload for everything is the 6.5 Grendel. It would be great for close and long range shooting and potentially hunting. I am going to wait until the military adopts it or it becomes commercially accepted before I get another 'wildcat."
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

So did this 10K rifle ever get built?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrshooter View Post
Yep I stand corrected, it is not a short action. I do think it is 338-06 is a flexible round for hunting though. I wish you could get more commercial ammo for it so I would not be committed to always reload for it. Another cartridge I really like but don't have because I do not want to have to reload for everything is the 6.5 Grendel. It would be great for close and long range shooting and potentially hunting. I am going to wait until the military adopts it or it becomes commercially accepted before I get another 'wildcat."

6.5 Grendal is as widely commercially available as it is ever going to get, just like the 6.8 SPC. THe military will never adopt it like the 5.56 or 7.62 NATO rounds. Won't happen. And it isn't even as affective as a long range round as the 308 is.

In reference to the OP, if he wants something that he is going to shoot at extreme distances, he should get two custom builds with great glass, rather than one overbuilt 30-06. If he just wants one rifle in 30-06 and one that will shoot under .5 MOA, he can spend 3000 and have more rifle and scope than he will ever need. I wouldn't do that if I were him though.

I think a 6mm AI or 243 AI AND a 300 Win Mag or WSM or 7mm Rem Mag or STW would suit his needs perfectly.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

I like the wood stocks, but not so practical. From one end of the U.S. to the other you may have moisture issues with wood. Laminated would be my choice. To save weight definitley sinthetic or composite.

I don't think you would be too wrong with the 30-06. Many an Elk has died at 1K yds, from it. I would choose 270, it will cover your p-dogs fine, and plenty for Bison. Either will get you to 600yds reliably for elk.

You could keep the whole thing at about $2K easy, and do what you want. If you have to go with one rifle.