Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

+1.....

Quote:
A lot of good suggestions by all.!!!

My recommendation would be the same as most. = Two matching rifles in different calibers.
because it is very hard to have "ONE" rifle that will do it all with out over kill on some game
and marginally enough on others.

If you wanted a pair of long action rifles that would work for the game you mentioned I
would look at the 280 rem for the bullets selection 90 grs to 160grs for deer and down.

The 300 RUM or the 338 RUM would handle the big stuff.

If you wanted a pair of short action rifles a 260rem would cover ever thing from deer down
very well and a 300 or even the 325 WSM would take care of the rest. (The 325 WSM is
very close to the 338 Win Mag but in a short action).

If you the same type action, stock, barrel contour, barrel length, scope and mounting system
the only thing you would have to watch for is getting the wrong ammo and not realizing it
until you got to your hunting destination.

If you put a brake on the larger caliber rifle recoil would be about the same also.

It would be neat to have a pair of matching rifles and $5,000.00 each would build a fine pare
of rifle and scope combinations.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

I kinda did this last fall. My big long range cannons get heavier every year so I looked at other options and shortenned my range to 650 or so yards. I wanted a light, easy/quick handling all purpose rifle to do it all. Would handle a wide range of bullets and have long barrel life. Ability to take all of Wyomings big game out to 650 or so yards and be a good rifle to poke a coyote. An inherently accurate round that did not require a muzzle brake to be shot effectively at long range. Quick shots with a brake blow your eardrums out when no time to put in earplugs.

I put together a 300wsm with a 24 1/2 inch barrel and scoped it out with a 3-10 mil dot scope. It weighs just over 7 pounds scoped out. It shoots one hole groups at 100 yards with 150 E-tips at 3419 fps. With a .469 BC they do very well out to my 650 yard goal and the etips hold together to kill anything within that range. When a bullet holds together 95% of its weight it kills like a heavier bullet.

There are many choices and I can think of dozens but I am happy with this rifle and it is probably about as good as any. I have many wildcats off the 280 and 30-06 case that have similar velocities but one of my criteria was easily available ammo when on a remote hunting trip. So I chose the 300 wsm. I can shoot this one bullet/one load setup for anything in Wyoming from coyotes to moose.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 AM

I appreciate everyone's advice on this project. Your input has caused me to rethink my strategy and look at creating a matched pair of rifles in a 6mm / .300 WSM type combination. I will have to look more at all of the ballistics to decide on the final calibers, but this is an excellent idea that many of your raised.

I truly wish I had found this forum years ago since I have gotten really great advice even though it was my first post.

Thanks for sharing your insights with me!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

A good combo would also be a 325wsm (or a 338wsm), and a 6.5mm wsm.

The 325 is very effective on pretty much all the bigger game on this continent, I have both a 300wsm and a 325wsm and you can tell the difference when you hit a moose with the bigger diameter bullet. Of course the 300 will take over in energy after about 275-350yards depending on bullet.

And the 6.5 could do double duty as a varmint rifle as well as a rifle for the non-dangerous big game. The 6.5 would also serve well as a long range rig, as the 6.5 has some pretty good ballistics.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Sponsor

If I were in your shoes I'd build myself a matched pair of rifles chambered in 260 Rem and 300 WSM. I'd build them in the 7 lb range + optics and top them with the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS NPR2 and zero stops. You could go anywhere and shoot anything with this combo and fit them both into a custom fit Pelican case. I like the idea so much I might build myself a set .

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

If I had $10K to spend on just one gun it would be the GunWerks LR-1000 system with Huskemaw scope in 7mm Rem Mag.

I would spend the remaining $4K on a trip or two to Alberta.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

+1..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
If I were in your shoes I'd build myself a matched pair of rifles chambered in 260 Rem and 300 WSM. I'd build them in the 7 lb range + optics and top them with the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS NPR2 and zero stops. You could go anywhere and shoot anything with this combo and fit them both into a custom fit Pelican case. I like the idea so much I might build myself a set .

Good Luck on your build!

-X3M

Last edited by X3MHunter; 07-25-2009 at 07:06 PM.