Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

Hi Gehrm, thought maybe you were a one post wonder

A 2 gun battery would be great, how about a .243 Win and 300WSM? Both would be short actions and would be able to feel the same etc. This combo would be sufficient for everything from Prairie Dogs to Moose.

I can't comment on the Echols stocks, I'm sure they are great. I can say that the McMillan stocks are absolutely excellent.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Input Wanted for Ultimate "One Rifle" for North American Game - $10k Including Op

I basically agree with AJ. A 243 and 300 WSM would make a good 2 gun battery. But if it was me, I would probably choose a 270 WSM over the 243 It owuld be over kill for varmits but I think would make a better backup to the 300 WSM at ranges up to 600 yds.

For a light and accurate rifle to 600 yds I would go with a 24" #4 flutted. I think a pilar bedded McMillan stock would be a great choice and maybe Russo wood stock for the backup/varmiter.

-MR
Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

I really liked the idea of building matching guns so they would feel the same while shooting. Kinda like the guy did that built matching 6.5x47lapuas to match his brother and his 338 edge rifles.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

-One gun
-Buy a couple (or all) barrels -> 243 WIN, 308 WIN, 300 WIN, and 338 LM.
-Buy one scope

-HUGE cool factor!

Desert Tactical

Desert Tactical Arms - Stealth Recon Scout

Hey, if you have the money why not?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

I'll never own only one gun, but if all I had to hunt everything was a Gunworks 7mm Rem Mag, I think I could be a happy man. It is over priced and I'm sure I'll never afford one, but having everything show up ready to go would be nice. For the criteria you posted though a stock Remington 700 BDL with a trigger and bedding job in 30-06 would work. You might even have a high grade barrel installed if you desired. You could spend 15 hundres on the rifle and buy the scope of your dreams with enough left over to shoot for an eternity.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

A lot of good suggestions by all.!!!

My recommendation would be the same as most. = Two matching rifles in different calibers.
because it is very hard to have "ONE" rifle that will do it all with out over kill on some game
and marginally enough on others.

If you wanted a pair of long action rifles that would work for the game you mentioned I
would look at the 280 rem for the bullets selection 90 grs to 160grs for deer and down.

The 300 RUM or the 338 RUM would handle the big stuff.

If you wanted a pair of short action rifles a 260rem would cover ever thing from deer down
very well and a 300 or even the 325 WSM would take care of the rest. (The 325 WSM is
very close to the 338 Win Mag but in a short action).

If you the same type action, stock, barrel contour, barrel length, scope and mounting system
the only thing you would have to watch for is getting the wrong ammo and not realizing it
until you got to your hunting destination.

If you put a brake on the larger caliber rifle recoil would be about the same also.

It would be neat to have a pair of matching rifles and $5,000.00 each would build a fine pare
of rifle and scope combinations.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

I have a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 with a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X in my safe that I got from my parents for 8th grade graduation. I hunted everything with this rifle for about 8 or 9 years and could go back to it today if I wanted to. If I was going to go for broke and have one rifle for all of the types of hunting I do or think I would do, it would probably be Shawn Carlock's Sheep Hunter or Long Range Hunter in 7 WSM with a Leupold Mark 4. Good Luck!