Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Initial setup for handloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM

Initial setup for handloading

Hi, my question is really simple..How much and what I need for start to hanloading .308 (equipment and prices) ???
(I know..I know I need learn the stuff first..but I need check my wallet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Thanks.
Criss
Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Initial setup for handloading

You need a good book(s) on reloading from Hodgen or sierra.
I prefer Hodgen and Vitavouri powder so I use there books and sierra a lot.

Precision shooting at 1000 Yards book $32

balance beam scale(RCBS 10-10) used on ebay $20

loading blocks $5 each

Lee auto primer $15

used RSBS rockchucker or similar press $40 ebaby

dies (I like redding or forester)$10-20 new or used on ebay

good vernier caliper $25-60

Lee powder dipper set $10 almost as fast as powder measure once you get the technique.

case trimmer (forester, wilson, rcbs ) used ebay $25-40

order sinclair intl catalog 260-493-2530 or support@sinclairintl.com

sinclair also sells some nice logbook sheets to record everything about your load. item numbers tgt-15 or 12-100 are couple good ones that fit in 3 ring binder.

neck deburring tool $5-10

misc primer pocket tools ($10 each) from sinclair or RW Hart (catalog 800-368-3656)

good chrono evenually (used $125 up)

you can buy almost all of what you need to start used on ebay. Buy the catalogs and books first to read on what you want and why then buy the highest quality used you can afford. Trust me saves money in the long run.

Good luck.

BH
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

Hi Niet,
RCBS sells everything you need in the "Supreme Master Reloding Kit" for about $250. Firstly you get the Rockchucker press, which is one of the best single station presses in the market. You also get dies of your choice, 505 scales, Uniflow powder measure and an RCBS hand priming tool. De-burring tool,lube kit,powder funnel, loading block and a Speer reloding manual are also included. Alas there is no case trimmer, which you will have to buy seperately.
A good quality vernier is a must, but get a 8" version it is much more versatile if you decide to load big long magnum cartridges in the future.
I cannot reccommend, highly enough the Seirra 5th edition reloading manual, i would'nt be without mine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really dont want to offend anyone who uses thier products, but stay away from Lee, they are crap and should not be mentioned amongst words like "precision" and "handloading",(steel and aluminium together, UURGH....).
I have probably put the cat among the pigeons here and am most likely going to get it in the neck from other posters for my comments, but these are my thoughts,so come on guys shoot me down. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Not at all Centre Punch! You hit the nail on the head. Lee and consistent precision do not go together. I keep trying to tell beginners that, and they just keep buying that crap! I think the wives ruin more good intentions (like buying rcbs) than not. Oh well. They usually come around and buy Redding or Rcbs later!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Bronze Member

Well sorry to here your from england,since your still there ,nothing else can be said!I think it realy depends on you,if you can tear up a anvil in a sand box with a wooden mallit,don't by bottom end products.Normally if your starting out you can buy kits ALOT cheaper.I guess e-bay is a option,if you have the time and lots of shipping and handling charges.Who cares about a crono as long as you can hit target.And last if you shoot 30 rounds a year at 200 yards,is it worth it? There is alot of great ammo out there.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 AM

Thanks to all the ones that respond and help to the beginners as I, now what I need is aid with my wife... <font color="red"> "Honey, that's that is dangerous and the children can take something..." </font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Regards, Niet
Old 01-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Niet

"Honey, that's that is dangerous and the children can take something..."

But like my old dad used to say when confronted with such statements.. "Yeah, that's true... but they'll only do it ONCE."

I have spare reloading stuff, things I'll never use. Maybe I'll dig around and see what's available for gifting...sort of a "starter seed" and examples of things to never buy on your own.