Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2002, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

Halfbreed
I use a RCBS Big Max press it is a single stage press for sizing, then I use Wilson setting dies uses an arbor press. Powder I use a scale on all my LR loads. Priming I use a lee auto prime. I have a Dillon progressive I use for pistol or short range varmint cartridges.
Crow Mag
Old 01-18-2003, 09:19 PM

Ian,
Liked what you said for guys starting out. I'm looking for advice. Heres' my situation. Have a Howa 1500 Lighting in .223 w/SS heavy barrel. Looking to do some bench/target shooting and varmints to 300 yds. If I get as good as I hope maybe even try some longer range stuff.
If I can keep my scope costs including rings/mounts under $900 I'd be happy. What do you suggest.
Any help is appreciated.
Wayne
Thompson Center ProHunter 209x50 SS/RT camo
Savage .17HMR
H&R Pardner pump 20ga
S&W M&P 9mm
Colt .38 police special
Hoyt Lazertec 70lb, GT410gr, Muzzy 3bld
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

Howa has a recall on there 1500 and others. Will look up the web site if you want me to. Bought one for my dad several years ago. Its some work on the bolt.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

?? Can I use my factory rifles for "long range" shooting? Maybe a better way to ask the question is this-

I have a Ruger Model 77 in .243, a Ruger Model 77 in 6mm, and a Remington Model 700 in .270. The only one that has a decent scope is my .270. It has a Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 50 Vari-X III mounted on it. I need to change the rings as the scope is very close to touching the barrel. It may even be touching. The reticle in the Leupold is a standard duplex reticle. The .243 and 6mm are actually my two sons rifles. The scopes on them were significanlty cheaper as they tend to destroy most things that they touch [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (They aren't that bad but I wasn't going to bolt a $300-$400 scope on their rifles).

So- with what I have listed- do I have a starting spot or would I be better off with something else?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Wayne,
Just back from a hunting trip so have not been on this site for several days. One scope that we have mentioned a lot in the past that would be very interesting for your .223 is the Bushnell 3200 10x Tactical. This scope is very reasonably priced (190 dollars or so) and has performed well on several rifles that I use and friends own. It is not a Nightforce, but it is sharp and bright and the turrets work properly. I would put it into some Warne Maximas on steel Warne bases and you would be good to go.
There are several good moderate to medium priced scopes, the 3200 is sort of a sleeper as it is so moderately priced. Nikon also has some pretty good scopes with turrets, and also I have a great Burris Signature 3-9 that is very reliable, has good brightness and definition. Can't go wrong with Leupold, the more money you spend the better as the Vari X 111's are definitely better scopes than their low-enders. They make a Vari-X11 tactical with nice turrets that would be nice on a .223.
Bottom line is that the really high performance scopes are not cheap, but they are worth the money in reliablity, repeatability, optical qualities and warrantee backup.
Guys here suggest spending about the same $ on your scope/mounts as you did on the rifle. The 3200 lets you beat that usually.
Good luck on your scope decision.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Writers Guild

I'll second IanM's opinion of the 10X Elite 3200. Very impressed with mine. Great turrents and reticle. Decent optics and so far no problems. Also, comes with 80 min of elevation which is more then most scopes at any price. For the money, it is a great buy. Now if they made this in a 4200 series...

My experience with the Burris Sig Zee rings has been very positive. I have found the rings to make scope centering or shimming very easy. Will allow you to tilt the scope up to 30 min of additional elevation. I have removed and installed the rings many times and they work well. An added bonus, the way they tighten up allows them to keep their zero when reinstalled (pretty close anyways).

The best part of these rings is that they ensure that any misalignment in the bases does not put stress on the scope tube. A big plus when shimming bases.

For a newbie rig, I would suggest the Savage 110 with the heavy fluted barrel and lam stock. Cal either the 308 or win mag. The ELite 10X scope and Burris rings. With a little tweaking, this rig should be 3/4MOA or under. Total cost would be well under $1000 including reloading components enough to get some serious practise.

The Win Coyote or Tikka would be another choice.

My two cents worth...

Jerry
Old 01-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Hey Jerry, you like the Coyote better than the Stealth?