Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

Ian, ever consider using some Warne basses with Burris Zee rings? What are your thoughts on this? Need the 30mm type for a Luppy.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Have to be honest with you and say that the Burris rings that fit onto Weaver bases do not impress me - don't like the tightening bolts but I could be wrong. They are not very heavy-duty, I would go with Warne Maximas in 30mm.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

I have the Dual Dovetail rings and basses from Leupold, in 30mm. Like how heavy the rings are, just don't like that the dovetails may wear with time. Havent had any problem yet, even after several heavy loads, so ya just got to love Luppy's warranty.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

I've got a question for Ian M.....I'm in North West Ontario....and our winters ain't any warmer than yours ....lol. I have been thinking that the only real place to shoot 1000 yds or better will be on the ice in the winter time. Do you change yours loads at all to make up for the "cooler" temps? I was wondering if you have to "heat" them up a bit. I've done a fair bit of hunting in the sub-artic and haven't noticed much difference in point of impact but most of my shooting has been well under 300 yds. Any help is appreciated ....Thanks
Old 10-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Fact is we don't shoot much (if at all) during a tough winter, just no fun. We have been having pretty mild temps the last few years so have done some long shooting, just to get rid of the cabin fever.
When we did shoot long we did not have to make any adjustment for elevations due to the cold. We did not shoot in minus thirty type stuff, but shot several times in minus five or so. I like to shoot for three-four hours at a time so did not shoot in the real cold. If we have a mild winter with little snow there is no problem putting out targets and shooting prone from beside the vehicles to cut the wind. Shooting rocks isn't as good if there is a lot of snow, can't see bullet strikes. Honestly can't remember if we worked with bullet trace in the cold.

The ammo cools down but maybe because we shoot Varget the elevations were pretty much unchanged. We paint our steel plates orange in winter to get some contrast with the snow, they show up very nicely. Most of my plates are left orange on one side, white on the other.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

i see you have found the place digger
welcome aboard buddy
Old 12-14-2002, 05:08 PM
Bronze Member

o.k. folks i know i am opening a can of worms here, BUT as far as i can tell nobody is talking about loading equipment.
presses, dies etc. is there such a thing as a LR friendly progressive press? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] what is used. thanks for the help