Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Info for Guys Just Starting Out.

Texas,
If you want some real nice non-tapered two piece bases get the Warne Maximas (p. 272 in the Brownells bible). If you need tapered then Nightforce sells a two-piece set that are good (p.277) but more $.
Need any rain, it won't quit up here dammit. We were dry as hell when the farmers needed it, now when they are trying to harvest it rains every day.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Thanks but No Thanks, Ian we've had so much rain in July and this weekend that I didn't even go to the gunshow [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . The Remy has standard Lupy 2 piece bases and want to change them. Now if you could send me some of your snow around the 25th December we can talk [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
Old 09-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Texas,
Please don't use the "S" word, we are sensitive about that since we only get a few months break from it... Shoveling that stuff is not a great way to start a day, thank heavens for Toro s'blowers.
Not sure which is worse, 40 below and 40 inches of snow in the back yard or 100 above and 100% humidity. There has got to be a place with a little less extremes than Sask.
Being die-hards in winter my partner and I paint our steel plates orange instead of white so that they will show up in that evil white stuff. Hard as hell to spot bullets, not much dust when there is two feet of snow covering everything. Barrels sure stay cool tho.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Sorry about the S word, didn't know it was that bad. Could have been worse... We could have had it here in Texas [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Heck we have to feed our cows DRY ICE just so they wont give us powdered milk [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Any way on those WARNE rings which ones are you using the lever or thumb models?
Old 09-09-2002, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Have used them both extensively and just started with the TPA style. They are a lot cheaper and seem fine. Warne makes two mounts, one called the Maxima that fits on Weavers and one called the Premiere that fits on a unique base. The Premieres are also very nice rings but they lock you into using Premiere bases.
Lever or thumb screw simply means they replace the large lever with a knurled nut that sticks out less but is harder to tighten as you don't have the leverage. Not available on Maximas I believe, just levers or TPA's which have socket head bolts.
Another similar mount that is very good is the Talley, but so far it is not available for Weaver style bases. Talleys are sweet, the machining has to be seen to be believed. They sell their mounts to some big players, such as Weatherby.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Ian,

It's beginning to look like my hunting partner is going to have another big coyote hunt down here right after the first of the year. There is already talk among a few of us to make a little side meet while we are all together again. A side meeting for those who like to shoot things a little further out than the others [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You'd be more than welcome if you'd like to come and shoot with us. We had 2-3 others from Canada last year, and one guy came all of the way from South Africa. I expect the Canadians to be back again this year.

You can expect daily highs from 65-70 with ~15% humidity. And if you get sick for the white stuff, We can run up to the mountains and call for the big cats.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Owch, that sounds interesting. Right after New Years our mouth-blown calls tend to freeze up pretty fast from the moisture in your breath and the minus 30 degree weather. Lots of other parts also freeze, like your toes, fingers, nose etc. I tend to look for excuses to travel south as much as possible when the cold hits.
Thank you for the kind invite, I will be in touch.
ian