Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Improvement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 10:38 PM

Improvement?

Hello all, I have a question and this may be my first post. There is lots of good information on here btw. I would like to increase my rifles accuracy and reliability by getting a new stock. I am shocked how much they cost too. This is going to be for a hunting rifle so the choices must be light. So far I like the mcmillan classic or the remington titanium take off stock. It is a rem 700 bdl ss in 7 mag (all stock). I realize the factory tupperware stock has lots of play in it(not rigid) and would like a rigid stock to improve groups and performance. Is the rem. Titanium stock for 180 bucks shipped a big enough improvement over the tupperware or should I save my pennies for a mcmillan stock? They cost something like 375 for a black painted one. Thanks for the info, Nathan
Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Improvement?

Nathan,

First off, welcome to LRH!!

Concerning the stocks, remember that anytime you go to a light weight stock design you are going to give up rigiditiy in the stock. Just the nature of the beast.

I would personally recommend saving and getting a McMillan as it will offer better performance compared to the Rem stock. IT will be well worth your extra money. Also get the stock pillar bedded as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Kirby knows much more about this long range stuff than I do but I was somewhat supprised at how he answered the question.

From my limited knowlege I must say that there are other things that could be done to the rifle to make it more accurate than just changing the stock. especially for the price of 375.

But go with what kirby said since his IS the long range gunsmith.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

7mmag Man,

I would certainly agree with you about there is alot that can be done to turn up the rifle for long range shooting but the stock was the only thing in question so thats what I commented on.

The simplest things I would recommend after the restocking, recrown the muzzle, lap the bolt lugs and tune the trigger to a clean break.

Other then that, if someone wants to get more involved in accurizing a rifle, I highly recommend rebarreling with a top end barrel and fully accurize the receiver.

But doing this takes what sounds like a simple project and turns it into a full custom rifle.

Just answering the question posed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Well, the rifle has a light crisp 3 lb trigger pull. It has a decent scope (vari-x IIc) and leupold dual dovetail rings. It is not a long range or precision rifle, just needs to be a good hunting rig out to 400 yards. Currently, it will shoot two bullets right next to each other and one pulls about .75 inch away or so. Groups are just over 1 moa. I would like it to shoot .5 moa. This is using federal 160 partitions since I dont handload. I could get a new crown but I think a new stock and floating the barrel would do more for me. Whats the consensus there? Nathan
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Float the barrel first and see if that helps. It costs nothing unless you have to go to Sears and get a rasp for $5

Try waiting about 8-10 minutes before firing the third shot. Time cost nothing. A colder barrel may bring the third one back in. I cannot ever remember firing three shots at a deer unless the third was when I walked up and finished it off. If I can't make the hit by two shots then I quit because something (usually my brain) is not working right.

I know we are all fixated on being able to claim small groups but it is that first shot out of the cold barrel that counts. Go read about Kirby and the coyote. No third shot needed. Knowing that your gun walks is only a ego problem. It is not a hunting problem.

When I dial in a gun that walks it may take me more than an hour to shoot a single group, but when I am through I know that it is a cold barrel group.

The other advice I would give you is that if you have never glass bedded a gun now is the time. You are planning on replacing this stock anyway so if you screw it up there is no loss, unless of course, you do what I did the first time and glue the gun in. That only gets to be funny after many years later.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Bronze Member

Im not trying to step on any toseI think you should try getting a HS stock send it to RW HART LET THE DO THERE accr,deal for 200$ witch includes bedding crowning truing the bolt 3lb trigger . It by anyway shape or form would compare to kirby or chris ect. I tried it with a erm. adl 2506 with great results. Im just throwing an idea that is around $450 tosee if thats what you want. Then get one of the bad ***** to build you a custum. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]