Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Importance of turning necks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2003, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Importance of turning necks

Ok, here's one more. How important is neck turning to accurate shot placement at long-range? I know it helps with more uniform neck tension, but what group size difference will i see (generally, of course) with a tight-necked gun relative to say a match neck, or std. neck, if all the other components of accuracy are there?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Importance of turning necks

SS,I don't turn mine.Seems to work.Mine is a std. neck

[ 07-24-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]
Old 07-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

several points are important in neck turning

get a square neck with cocentric chanfer help a lot to size the neck with run out / body

get a neck "smooth" without hight spots help to get same force alround the neck ( diameter ) and all the neck lenght sized .

neck doesnt center the case in the chamber ( there is play between chamber and neck ) centering is done by the body and thes houlder angle ( headspace )

neck help to hold the bullet in the case axis

limited clearance between chamber and case help to avoid to get brass tiderness and get brittle braas ' need to anneal )

I use 0.3 mm neck thickness ( 0.012 inch ) and try to get 0.03mini to 0.04 mm maxi of gap each side ( chamber / load case ) 0.0012 to 0.0015 inch

I try to always use ( when possible ) formed case from bigger caliber case to get raw material to cut for example :
6.5/06 from 270 WIN
7 REM from 300 WIN mag
7 STW from 8 REM mag

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 07-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

SS

I have found over the years that, neck tension is one of the "MOST" important procedure's of reloading. I like light tension rather then tight.

It goes hand in hand with "a lot" of other procedures one must use for the best accuracy.

Being a friend of Boyds and shooting with him, I'm still amazed as to how well he is doing without him doing anything to his cases.
This is NOT the norm at all in 1000 yard match shooting but, is working for Boyd.
It makes me wonder how much "better" he would do if, he did prep his cases and fine tune them? I believe it would improve his accuracy a little bit which would be worth it.

I have to think that Boyd got himself a hummer barrel and just about anything he does will give good accuracy for him. Most of us are not that lucky.

If I were you SS, I would at least "true up" the necks by turning them. Usually .012" IS a good neck thickness depending on the neck your smith has put in your chamber. For instance, most smiths at Williamsport like a neck diameter of .335", .336", .337" or .338".
Lets say you have a .336" neck diameter. Cut the case necks to .0115" or .012" thickness which measuring both side will be .023" or .024". Now seat the .308 Bullet in and you have a total of ,331" or .332" neck diameter with .005 or .004" left for case neck expansion when you fire the loaded round.
If it takes a little bit longer to load a few rounds it could be worth it.

Again, at least true up the necks as many have high spots on them from the factory.
There are MANY more things to do besides necks.

Later
DC
Old 07-28-2003, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

Thks. all!