Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

I need some help....with a lot of stuff....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

I need some help....with a lot of stuff....

I'm trying to become a decent shot. I've got what I think is a good rifle. 7WSM, Rem 700 (short action which limits max seating depth to magazine length), Lilja barrel, HS bottom metal, NF 5-22x50 scope & Manners GAT stock. Stock tigger set at 3.5 lbs and Leupold dual dove-tail scope mounts (both of which may need an upgrade, I don't know).

I've been trying to develop a good load. My best so far seems to be SGK 160gr, Win Mag primers, 64.5gr of 4381sc. I can usually get an MOA group, sometimes better. If memory servers, I'm getting around 2950 fps (don't that info here).

I've been shooting from a bench & prone with a Harris bipod and rear bag. My problem has been consistency. I think I may have discovered one error I have been making last night. I was shooting at 200yds and my group was a 4-5 inch horizontal line. I'm not a great shot, but I know I'm not that bad. I had read something about "Bipod Hop" when shooting off hard surfaces, so I placed a Past Recoil pad that was in my bag under the bipod and shot again. I got about a 2" group just by putting a pad under the bipod.
Do most of you shoot with a pad under your bipod when shooting off a bench or is this a mental problem I have?

I ordered and watched Shawn's DVD and thought it was great, but I feel like I'm not shooting well enough to move on to that level. I know you can't judge my technique, but with the info I've provided, can you see any obvious problems?

I'm going to go shoot in an hour, and I'll try and post some photos, but if anyone has any obvious suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for your help.

Glenn
Old 08-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

For what it's worth. I always have some sort of pad (couple thicknesses of carpet, etc.) under my bi-pod when shooting off a bench.

There is an article called "Bugholes from Bipods" It is well worth the read ---> Bugholes from Bipod

Hope this helps.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 08-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

DOC

If you have rubber feet on the bypod it can cause the stock to make
contact with the barrel when firing and as AJ said you need some sort
of a pad under them so the bypod can move easier from recoil.

Metal feet on the bypod help with this problem.

The other thing could be bedding or the stock is not supporting the bypod
keeping it off of the barrel.

Slip a dollar bill under the barrel and get in your shooting position and see
if you can still remove it. (You should be able to).

Just some thoughts I hope will help
J E CUSTOM
Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Good read AJ.
Thanks for the link
Mike
Old 08-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the link. I'll read it and see what I learn.

I'm going to look for a scrap of carpet for the bench also. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

do you have a level on your scope/mount?
do you preload your bipod before shooting?

these 2 things made a BIG difference in my groups.
RR
Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

If it was me I'd either have a good smith work that trigger over or have him install a good aftermarket unit. It's just my personal opinion but a 3.5# trigger would drive me crazy on a long range gun. Most of mine run about 1.5#. The more muscle you have to use to break the shot the more of a chance you're going to do something slightly different as in side pressure on the trigger, not pulling straight back, not making contact with the same part of your finger each time etc. etc. etc.

The components of the build seem to indicate that it should be a shooter so given what you are getting for accuracy, if it was me, I'd start over and see if I couldn't find a different, more accurate load.

Do you have other guns that you can shoot more accurately than this one? Have you ever had anyone else shoot the same gun to see what the results are?

I find that the field conditions I shoot in seldom tend to mimic what I may use at the bench/range when testing. Thus I try to make sure my long range gun will shoot at the bench under the same conditions as when I'm in the field. I know some people have guns that won't shoot off hard surfaces but I'm lucky in that my long range rigs aren't that finicky. I also carry a frisbee with me when shooting and have found that the slick surface and broad area gives me good results with the bipod. I know this sounds goofy but it only costs a couple of bucks to find out if it works for you. I can put that frisbee down in sand, dirt, grass, lava rock, plain rocks, mud etc. and the gun/bipod always sees the same nice slick surface. No guarantees but it's something to try.;)