Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

I learned something from that...What rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: I learned something from that...What rifle?

Guy, a couple years ago you ask,

"Why have a safe full of guns that you don't shoot."

"For some reason, I'm reallly getting into a "less is more" mindset, and am contemplating further clearing out the gun safe, cutting down to a few really useful rifles, shotguns and handguns.. " by Guy.

Every since that day I have wanted to thin out and only have a few 'Custom' tack drivers.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

I agree that someone just needs to get out there and shoot. My question is: Is there a gun that will grow with the shooter?

Currently, I have a 30-06 I use for close range hunting. Actually, I prefer bow for deer... I also just received my grampa's Rem 700 6mm. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fired in over 30 years.

I'm looking to get into more long range hunting. I'm not looking for the top of the line or even really custom made. But if I buy a new gun, I would like one that will grow with as I get more experiences, i.e. if I buy a 300 WM/RUM and get accurate at 600 yards, would I be able to push the limits and shoot an elk at 800-900? And when I burn out that barrel, will I be able to mod it to hold 338 lapua for moose?

I don't see many long range shots over here on the east coast. But when I'm back home in Utah or visiting Alaska, I've seen Elk/Moose on the other side of the valley at around 800-1000 yards and wished I could take them.

Is the way I'm thinking not possible/logical?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Here are my thoughts-

Take the 6mm and check the twist. If it is 1-14, it will not stabilize moderate to heavy bullets. If it is 1-9 then get some Barnes or Speer 85 grain bullets and use the rifle for deer hunting in Maryland. It will be just perfect for any deer we have at ranges under 500 yards. It will be OK for antelope if you can get some higher BC bullets to shoot accurately. It will also make a good varmint rifle. There is a possibility the rifle will handle the 105 Amax and if so then that would be a great combination for 1000 yard practice. For some reason a lot of people report that the Amax stabilizes fairly easily so I would give it a try.

Take the 30-06 and see how it will shoot some of the VLD bullets such as Berger or the 175 SMK. You would like it to shoot equal to or better than 1 MOA. This will then provide you with a rifle capable of practicing out to 1000 yards and killing deer sized animals to about 600-800 yards depending on a number of things but chiefly your skill and the rifle's accuracy. There is another thread by a guy who wants to shoot half a mile with a 308 and that is just about 80 yards too far to be trying to kill a deer unless you are really proficient (or very desperate).

If the rifle will not shoot under 1 MOA on a consistent and reasonable basis with high quality ammo then drag it over to Eddie Harren and have him borescope it and assess the situation. Take him a fired case so he can determine how well the chamber was put in.

Harren's Custom Rifles
2309 Oak Dr.
Ijamsville, Md. 21754
301-831-8068

If it was me, I would just have Eddie do three things automatically unless he says otherwise. In fact I would probably take the 6mm to him also and just have everything fixed at once.
1. Recrown the barrel
2. Adjust the trigger
3. Bed the action

Last edited by Buffalobob; 12-20-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

New to the site. You can learn more about shooting long range with a 22 than you can with a center fire. Most important is fire control and shot set-up. I only have access to a 200yd range. If I want to shoot beyond that it takes awhile for permission.
With a 22 at 200 yds many of the variables are present. You will need to adjust the elevation and dope the wind. If you only have 100 yds use the 22 shorts that are subsonic. This will allow you to dope wind and elevate for different range out to that 100 yds.
By sizing the target by 1/10 you can practice using a reticle scale. for reasonable simulation. When my folks got rid of the horse farm I lost my 500yd range. This is the only way to keep sharp that works with what I have available.
It's not the same as looking over 8 or 9 football fields and putting the proper dope to get you there but it does give you the method to set up how to practice.
Accurrate shooting is about repeatability. The mechanicals in shooting ie the gun optics ballistics are pretty much a known. The inside of your hat carrier is the unknown. Once that hatrack gets confident with it's ability it can apply the mechanical parts to there limit. If the hatrack is not confident it will be a very expensive learning curve
I have 3 sub 1/2 minute rifles in my safe my wife and her boys are 3 minute shooters with those rifles at 100 yds with the 22 they all are better than 2 minute shooters at the same distance
Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I agree that someone just needs to get out there and shoot. My question is: Is there a gun that will grow with the shooter?

Currently, I have a 30-06 I use for close range hunting. Actually, I prefer bow for deer... I also just received my grampa's Rem 700 6mm. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fired in over 30 years.

I'm looking to get into more long range hunting. I'm not looking for the top of the line or even really custom made. But if I buy a new gun, I would like one that will grow with as I get more experiences, i.e. if I buy a 300 WM/RUM and get accurate at 600 yards, would I be able to push the limits and shoot an elk at 800-900? And when I burn out that barrel, will I be able to mod it to hold 338 lapua for moose?

I don't see many long range shots over here on the east coast. But when I'm back home in Utah or visiting Alaska, I've seen Elk/Moose on the other side of the valley at around 800-1000 yards and wished I could take them.

Is the way I'm thinking not possible/logical?
If you want a gun you can grow with (without spending a lot of money during the entire process) buy a Savage. The way the action is set up, it is pretty simple to swap barrels, and bolt faces (if you have to). And... most of them shoot pretty good out of the box anyway. There are better rifles out there, but you'll probably pay more for the rifle, and more when you get it worked on. I own Winchesters, Rugers, Remingtons, CZs, and Savages. And I just bought another Savage in 7mmRemMag (AccuTrigger, AccuStock, DBM, sporterweight), and my next build will be on a Savage RBLP target action. They're hard to beat.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
Here are my thoughts-

Take the 6mm and check the twist. If it is 1-14, it will not stabilize moderate to heavy bullets. If it is 1-9 then get some Barnes or Speer 85 grain bullets and use the rifle for deer hunting in Maryland. It will be just perfect for any deer we have at ranges under 500 yards. It will be OK for antelope if you can get some higher BC bullets to shoot accurately. It will also make a good varmint rifle. There is a possibility the rifle will handle the 105 Amax and if so then that would be a great combination for 1000 yard practice. For some reason a lot of people report that the Amax stabilizes fairly easily so I would give it a try.

Take the 30-06 and see how it will shoot some of the VLD bullets such as Berger or the 175 SMK. You would like it to shoot equal to or better than 1 MOA. This will then provide you with a rifle capable of practicing out to 1000 yards and killing deer sized animals to about 600-800 yards depending on a number of things but chiefly your skill and the rifle's accuracy. There is another thread by a guy who wants to shoot half a mile with a 308 and that is just about 80 yards too far to be trying to kill a deer unless you are really proficient (or very desperate).

If the rifle will not shoot under 1 MOA on a consistent and reasonable basis with high quality ammo then drag it over to Eddie Harren and have him borescope it and assess the situation. Take him a fired case so he can determine how well the chamber was put in.

Harren's Custom Rifles
2309 Oak Dr.
Ijamsville, Md. 21754
301-831-8068

If it was me, I would just have Eddie do three things automatically unless he says otherwise. In fact I would probably take the 6mm to him also and just have everything fixed at once.
1. Recrown the barrel
2. Adjust the trigger
3. Bed the action
Is Eddie a pretty good smith?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Eddie builds his own rifles and his own bullets. He is nearly always ranked in the top ten of the IBS score shooters nationally for as long as I have l known him. He and his wife won the nationals in 2008. I forget whether he is first or second this year. His particular field of endeavor (varmint hunter) is not quite within my full understanding but he has at least one Maryland state championship and maybe more.

In order to be consistently ranked nationally one needs to build consistently accurate rifles (it also helps to be able to shoot them accurately I am sure). Like many of the gunsmiths on this forum he is a very honest and forthright person whose reputation is built upon his character and the quality of his work.

Go to this link and read the last three years or so

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - NBRSA Winners and Records

P.S. What he charges for his work is about the same as anyone else.