Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

I chose Browning this time.. hope i dont regret it!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: I chose Browning this time.. hope i dont regret it!!

Great looking gun. I would like to hear a review after you get it sighted in and shooting too.

I have one of the original Browning A-Bolts in 7mm RM that I have killed most of my game with over the last 25 years. So Brownings are kind of special for me too. Like everyone, I love the 60 degree bolt through. This gun is still my goto gun for shorter range and woods hunting. Mine has the Timney spring. And totally agree that the Browning removable magazine is the best out there.

Let us know how she shoots.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

Here some more incouragement.

This was shot with my browning. M-1000 Eclipse in 270wsm. 130gr Barnes TSX with 75gr magpro. 3500fps.

I hope you have as good of results as I have with mine. Hands down most accurate rifle I have ever shot.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

I have owned a couple of A-bolts and loved them. Most likely, if there is a weakness in your shooting system, it will be your choice of scope. I'm not knocking Leupold. I do have the same CDL model as you mounted on a model 7 in 243. It wears a custom 1 in 8 twist barrel and is designed for mid-range shooting with Berger 105's out to 800 yds or so. The problem with this CDL scope is the lack of paralax adjustment. If you are sighted in at 200 and everything is crisp and clear, your target at 500 is completely out of focus - at least for precision shooting. The only way to compensate is to mess around with the ocular focus ring. I can live with this for now, but I need to change out in the future. Good scope, just not medium to long range material.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

It's amazing what you get in the Eclipse-1000, that bull barrel from FN shoots. They are readily available on Gunbroker in the 1000 range. You have to go custom in the 2000-3500 range to really get what Browning has done with the Eclipse-1000. Until you are a total accuracy and custom freak (and you may get there) it is better to start off with the Browning and learn there. You might not need another rifle in that caliber for awhile.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Im not 100% settled on the scope yet. I just got the rifle. Got the talley integrated scope mounts to keep it simple, and low profile. So i have about $700 left in my current budget for this rifle before my Wife/Accountant sets off the alarm. I can probably get away with anything under $1000.

What scope would you guys recommend? Honestly most of my shooting will be between 300-600yds. I would like to reach out there, but also hit a deer at 200yds if need be. Or i could use this set up for Paper only. Just want to show it off when i go hunting!! Thanks for the help.

Sorry no updates yet on the gun. I am working out of State until late January. But believe me as soon as i get to the house it's getting sighted in, and lots of Pic's and details. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
I chose Browning this time.. hope i dont regret it!!-photo-12-.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

If you can, get the Vortex PST 6x24x50 with the (ebr-1) if you can, there are so many longrange shooters here buying this glass , that it seems like it's the jr., version of Nightforce. About 1/2 the price and I read better glass than Leupold Mark 4. That in and of itself is a significant step up from the vx-3. I've got one vx-3 and like it, but the Vortex is within 50 bucks of it used. I wish I had bought the Vortex. What caliber in the Eclipse-1000 did you get? Boss?

2cents
Old 12-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Ok also i really like this scope's power & the bdc reticle. Would you say take this over the Leupold? I settled on this before the leupold but now i second guessing myself.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
I chose Browning this time.. hope i dont regret it!!-nikon-bdc-reticle-yardage.jpg