Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How often do you clean your brass???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: How often do you clean your brass???

I guess I'm one of those guys who would rather shoot than clean. As long as my brass isn't corroded or causing problems, I just load it & shoot it.

I rub each case with an old towel to remove the lube after sizing, and figure that's worth something! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2002, 07:44 AM

Brent,
You will never have any sparks as long as the casings are totally covered with liquid. The vingear gets the lube off the casing very well too.
I have a cousin who's name is same as yours, I use to work with him in Anchorage. I have been to Palmer back in 1977.

Later
Old 05-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

I tried the microwave thing and I got blue sparks. The last time I will ever try that again.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I clean my brass after every shooting. I use a tumbler with corn cob media, the walnut leaves an oily film on the brass. I wipe the brass off with a towel after tumbling and after sizing. The corn cob media also gets stuck in the flash hole. I use steel wool. Four ought-0000. It is the finest steel wool. I wrap some four ought wool around a phosphourous brass brush of the caliber I am shooting and use it too run up and down inside the case neck to polish the neck. This will keep all the necks more uniform. I clean all my brass after every firing-MY GUN IS WORTH IT. SO ARE MY DIES. If any kind of spec of dirt or grit is on your brass and you run it in your die, and scratch your die, it will be scratched for ALL TIME! My gun is worth perfect brass, isn't yours?