Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

how many shots before i should clean the barrel.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

how many shots before i should clean the barrel.

i shoot till i see the groups start to get bigger or about 25 rounds. then do a cleaning. but i have a new gun thats only burns 15-17 grains of powder and is only pushing the bullet at 1100 fps. this is in a 338cal bore. i went to the range and forgot my cleaning kit. went home at 65 rounds though the gun with no cleaning but still grouped good. how many round do guys put down before you clean.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: how many shots before i should clean the barrel.

Bigrich ,

Thats it , don't hold back , let it all out . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I clean my 243 AI after every session . That may be 25 to 50 rounds , but I clean anyway a s it keeps me up to date on my cleaning schedule . I clean my 300 winnie after every shooting session whether it be 20 rounds or 50 for the same reason.

Then................when I take one hunting I shoot a fouler and leave the bbl fouled until the hunt session is over . That may be a week or a month .

After saying all this I have a feeling you have a agenda beyond your stated post . Not antagonistic here just curious . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jim B.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: how many shots before i should clean the barrel.

Do mostly the same . I clean after any range time. use to stop and do a light cleaning after every 15 rounds. because a few of my rifle would get so badly fouled that it would take days to clean if i kepted shooting.
But you are right. im trying to learn whats fouls the barrels the amount of powder being burned or the speed of the bullet. im worried about over cleaning and putting undo wear on the barrel.

This is why i love this site best people around. thank you all for putting up with my bad typing which only gets worst when im hiding out on here on work time.

you have a agenda beyond your stated post . Not antagonistic here just curious . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]