Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How to manage moisture in a gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

How to manage moisture in a gun safe?

I would appreciate discussions on efficient and effective ways to manage moisture in a gun safe. What are the pros and cons of using electric heating rods, gun socks, absorbent materials or a combination of these? What experiences have you or your friends have with these as well as other methods of moisture control. I am considering cost, time involved and the problem of forgetting to follow up on periodic management of any system used. How much of a problem is moisture in your safe? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Alfred Crouch; 06-07-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to manage moisture in a gun safe?

I have two large safes and run electric heater rods in both. I also put my nicer stuff in gun socks, but less for moisture control and more to avoid dings. My safes are both in the basement, which is fairly damp. I have never had issues with rust, etc but I generally clean and oil everything before it gets put away.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I live in South Louisiana (humidity on to of humidity here). My safe is not kept in a climate controlled room. I don't have issues with a light coat of ballistol and an electronic heating rod.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

I run boxes of silica in the safes. I also put most guns in gun socks and run a Soleus 45 pint dehumidifier in the room( I empty it every few days). My humidity is around 30% in the room. Seems too work really well. I have no complaints.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

I live in an extremely humid area and have no problems with just running an electric dehumidifying rod in my safe.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

I have my gun/reloading room in the upstairs of my shop. It has no windows and can hot up there in the summer. When I moved the guns out of the house and into the top of the shop last year, I put a window air conditioner in( one of the gun room walls goes into the inclosed shop) and I put safe rods in the my cheap Homak gun safes. Worked really well. But noticed the humidity this summer to be higher than last year. So I put a dehumidifier in the room. With air conditioner and dehumidifier the room is about 73 degrees and 45 o/o in humidity. I also have hygrometers in both of the safes.

Jason