Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

View Poll Results: How long does it take for a custom build based on assumptions provided in my post?
<6 weeks 9 9.57%
6 - 18 weeks 16 17.02%
18-24 weeks 19 20.21%
> 24 weeks 50 53.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

How long for a custom build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How long for a custom build?

Actually the waits aren't as bad as one might think:

I ordered a left hand drop port Defiance action/base on 1-25-12 and recieved it at the end of March.

Bill Shehane got me a MBR tracker stock in my choice of color the beginning of April.

The barrel blank, and trigger I got from sponsors on 6mmbr.com who had them in stock.

I had the rifle in 4.5months and it shoots .5" five shot group at 200yds from a benchrest gunsmith, I learned there is a difference.

My question is when a smith gets the money for components do they use it for that cutsomers components and order at the time of the payment or wait?

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
Actually the waits aren't as bad as one might think:

I ordered a left hand drop port Defiance action/base on 1-25-12 and recieved it at the end of March.

Bill Shehane got me a MBR tracker stock in my choice of color the beginning of April.

The barrel blank, and trigger I got from sponsors on 6mmbr.com who had them in stock.

I had the rifle in 4.5months and it shoots .5" five shot group at 200yds from a benchrest gunsmith, I learned there is a difference.

My question is when a smith gets the money for components do they use it for that cutsomers components and order at the time of the payment or wait?

Brent
That's going to depend on who is doing the build. We'd like to think they would all go ahead and place the order's immediately but then a great many factors could come into play whereby they wouldn't/couldn't.

If for example they are two years behind they very well might not place the order until six months before they anticipated being ready to start on yours simply to avoid filling up limited space with components they won't use for a year or more.

Such questions can only be answered by whomever you choose to do your build.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

WildRose, you are correct. I have built many rifles and had some good and bad experiences. Unfortunately we are always waiting on components. If the components are ordered with the customers money at the time of payment, and backordered I can understand. But ordered six months before the the anticipated build and then waiting.The customer ends up paying full price and waiting sometimes several months extra on top of it and this is acceptable?

I have had a smith order me a Mcmillan stock and wait six months for it. When 3rd Generation had the same stock with LOP feature in a different color for less money than I paid?????

Basically what I am getting at is some of the issues that caused me to change the way I have rifles built. Get your own components on hand and then look for your smith. The smith doesn't have anything invested until the work is done. Won't have huge amounts of components in the shop. The customer has nothing to complain about since they have the components and have paid the smith nothing until the work is complete. More people treat building rifles as a buddy/buddy thing rather than a business venture. More often it caused me to bite my lip rather than address the issues I saw.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 07-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
WildRose, you are correct. I have built many rifles and had some good and bad experiences. Unfortunately we are always waiting on components. If the components are ordered with the customers money at the time of payment, and backordered I can understand. But ordered six months before the the anticipated build and then waiting.The customer ends up paying full price and waiting sometimes several months extra on top of it and this is acceptable?

I have had a smith order me a Mcmillan stock and wait six months for it. When 3rd Generation had the same stock with LOP feature in a different color for less money than I paid?????

Basically what I am getting at is some of the issues that caused me to change the way I have rifles built. Get your own components on hand and then look for your smith. The smith doesn't have anything invested until the work is done. Won't have huge amounts of components in the shop. The customer has nothing to complain about since they have the components and have paid the smith nothing until the work is complete. More people treat building rifles as a buddy/buddy thing rather than a business venture. More often it caused me to bite my lip rather than address the issues I saw.

Brent
Makes perfect sense but then we come to the bottom line. If you hire a smith to put it all together for you and expect him to gurantee the accuracy one is well advised to sit down with the smith of choice before you even start ordering parts so that you and they agree on the components to be used. If you are expecting someone to gurantee their work they've got to be in on it from the initial planning phase onward.

If it were me that's how I'd approach it at least. I don't have the money to get a full custom done but I have a couple of friends who are excellet smiths so I just start talking to them a year or more ahead of time and let them guide me through the process. I've got a couple of builds/upgrades in progress right now and that's how I've approached it.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Great points WildRose, another is you getting components you are accepting the responsibility that they work together for your goal. Ex. you are building a 7wsm throated for 180's you better know what bottom metal to have if it is a repeater or build on a long action.

I guess it all depends on your background/Occupation. In my occupation timelines and planning is critical.

Brent

Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Great points WildRose, another is you getting components you are accepting the responsibility that they work together for your goal. Ex. you are building a 7wsm throated for 180's you better know what bottom metal to have if it is a repeater or build on a long action.

I guess it all depends on your background/Occupation. In my occupation timelines and planning is critical.

Brent
The problem i see is that most custom gunsmiths great machinist but they are not businessmen. Most dont understand that a custom gun build is like a project in the business world and these smiths should be using project management strategies and tools such as microsoft project. Unfortunatly most just shoot from the hip and just give a "best guess" and not an educated estimate. I think that if most of these guys had a businessman help them it would work out better for everyone.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
As far as actual machine time and bedding you are talking about two weeks +/-.

Next scenario= if you furnish everything needed to the smith add the 2 weeks to his back log
and that should get you close.

The third scenario= if he has to order a barrel and/or a stock you can figure 3 Months + 2 weeks.

If he has lots of work and does nor manage his time well or do every ones project in the order
of placement it can be a year or more.

The best way to expedite your rifle build is to talk to the preferred Smith and have all of your
componants in hand, get him to give you a schedule, and DONT GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY
up front. (This takes away the incentive for him to finish on time).

If he will not take partial payment with the other half upon completion, "RUN". I just finished
a rifle for someone that was in the gunsmiths shop for over 7 years, (He paid everything up front)
and when he went to pick it up and did not have a receipt to prove he had paid in advance
he couldn't recover any of his money.

A smith can't lose if you furnish everything because if you back out and he has started or
completed it he has the rifle and can recover his money buy selling it.

So the answer is what ever you agree on with the smith that he will honor

J E CUSTOM
"DON'T GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY"

Very good advice in any buisness transaction ! I frame houses and install metal roofs, and siding . I never ask for all of the money up front. most of the time I don't ask for a dime until I am finished with the job. I feel this helps the customer to completely trust that I will do exactly what I say after all he is holding all the money. I was told 7 months the other day.