Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

View Poll Results: How long does it take for a custom build based on assumptions provided in my post?
<6 weeks 9 9.57%
6 - 18 weeks 16 17.02%
18-24 weeks 19 20.21%
> 24 weeks 50 53.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

How long for a custom build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Bronze Member

How long for a custom build?

I'm curious as to that the average time for a custom build is assuming a few factors:
  1. You are using a reputable well reviewed gunsmith
  2. You deliver all the parts necessary to complete the build at the same time so there's no waiting on parts
  3. You are using realtively common caliber so no wait on a reamer
  4. You use common actions so blue printing isn't unusual
  5. You want relatively common tasks completed - true action, cut, chamber, thread and crown barrel, tune trigger, glass bed and free float barreled action and coat the action with coating of your choice.
What do you think is the norm?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How long for a custom build?

I don't think there is a "norm". I'm a new shop, open full time since Christmas. I can do a full build in a month. This is partly due to being new, partly due to my goal of keeping the back log managed.

It's not uncommon to see a year plus back log with small, or very popular, custom shops. Some of the more commercial outfits keep back log down too.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

There really is no standard---I have had a few rifles built in 2 days from non fluted/chambered blank plus dies and non inletted stock blank complete ground up build including fitting Wyatt Box and HS bottom metal to 2 years. Depends on your Smith and your relationship. Find the best and stick with them! Never hurts when they are good friends lol.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I don't think there is a "norm". I'm a new shop, open full time since Christmas. I can do a full build in a month. This is partly due to being new, partly due to my goal of keeping the back log managed.

It's not uncommon to see a year plus back log with small, or very popular, custom shops. Some of the more commercial outfits keep back log down too.

"norm" was a bad choice of words. What I was really trying to get at is what can one reasonably expect in the scenario I described.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

24 weeks ain't even 1/2 enough has been my experience, except for the last one which was sell under 24 days.

I took that one to grit...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

16-24 weeks for my McMillan EOL Outdoorsman and Les Baer sniper rifle.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post
I'm curious as to that the average time for a custom build is assuming a few factors:
  1. You are using a reputable well reviewed gunsmith
  2. You deliver all the parts necessary to complete the build at the same time so there's no waiting on parts
  3. You are using realtively common caliber so no wait on a reamer
  4. You use common actions so blue printing isn't unusual
  5. You want relatively common tasks completed - true action, cut, chamber, thread and crown barrel, tune trigger, glass bed and free float barreled action and coat the action with coating of your choice.
What do you think is the norm?

As far as actual machine time and bedding you are talking about two weeks +/-.

Next scenario= if you furnish everything needed to the smith add the 2 weeks to his back log
and that should get you close.

The third scenario= if he has to order a barrel and/or a stock you can figure 3 Months + 2 weeks.

If he has lots of work and does nor manage his time well or do every ones project in the order
of placement it can be a year or more.

The best way to expedite your rifle build is to talk to the preferred Smith and have all of your
componants in hand, get him to give you a schedule, and DONT GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY
up front. (This takes away the incentive for him to finish on time).

If he will not take partial payment with the other half upon completion, "RUN". I just finished
a rifle for someone that was in the gunsmiths shop for over 7 years, (He paid everything up front)
and when he went to pick it up and did not have a receipt to prove he had paid in advance
he couldn't recover any of his money.

A smith can't lose if you furnish everything because if you back out and he has started or
completed it he has the rifle and can recover his money buy selling it.

So the answer is what ever you agree on with the smith that he will honor

J E CUSTOM