Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How do you carry your drop charts for quick access?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Silver Member
I am thinking about taping one to my rangefinder,so as soon as I range the target,I can just flip it over and see the numbers.

Unread 01-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver Member
I tape one to my stock that I can check after using the range finder and adjusting my scope. I have also taped one to the inside of my non-trigger arm that I can check without pulling my head away from the stock. (Hint, this works best with long sleeve shirts, especially if your arms were hairy!)
"When working with the public, there are two things you need to remember. - 1. The public is a bunch of ignorant morons. - 2. YOU and I are one of them!"
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Silver Member
That's a great idea!! I wonder if you could make an armband like a quarterback wears work? I've seen them that flip open for more info too. I have no idea where to get them but I bet you could make it work pretty well. It's obviously quick to reference and water proof.
Bill C
Ignorance is bliss...unless you're aware of it.
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Gold Member
I have a laminated chart with drop in inches and MOA, and wind in inches, taped to the left sight of my stock (right handed) so I could just view it by tilting the gun a bit.

That being said, come hunting season when I shot 4 deer in 20 minutes (3 at long range) I found I had totally memorized the relevant information and was cranking back and forth without a second thought to look at the chart. Of course, I was shooting a muzzleloader so I only had to worry about 400 yards so the chart was probably shorter than what you'll need.
Unread 01-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Silver Member
Drop Chart

I have one of the retractable ones from Leupold mounted to the scope. I also have one that is typed using excel and shrank it enough to fit inside the flip up scope cover. I cut it out and then placed a piece of clear packing tape over it to seal it form the elements. Its amazing how small you can type it and still read it.

For Excel--To make it easier to see alternate each yardage with Gray and white lines. Dark gray background with white letters and white background with black lettering.
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Silver Member
I have one of those neopreem sleeves on my stock that holds spare bullets. My drop chart is laminated so I just slip under the sleeve.
Unread 01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
In a real small font i type up the a chart with my range in standard print-drop in bold-and windage in italicies (sp?) after this i laminate it and glue it to the inside of he flip up part of the eye piece of my butler creek scope cap on the ocular end. this way if a range changes while i am on the scope i dont really have to take my eye off of the glass to find my drop, only works with a spotter who is calling ranges though. the drops on the range finder is a good idea.

Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST