Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How do I find a good Gunsmith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 PM

How do I find a good Gunsmith?

There are listings everywhere you go, how do you know which ones are worth their salt? I'm looking for one that specializes in long range guns. Any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
SPONSOR

Well, we have several right here who post regularly:
Shawn Carlock, Kirby Allen, Dave Viers to list a few.
Greg Tannel is another one, who is not on this site who has done several LR projects for me.
Please note, there are a couple of other guys on the site that do good work, but I just haven't happened to have used them.

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Chris Mathews is in Garden City, Mo. excellent long range smith.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Todd Bettin of Bettin Custom Guns in Iwoa is building a 338 Lapua for me right now. He is really easy to work with and a good sence of humor. I have really enjoyed working with him and he has kept me update to his progress the with email and pictures through out the project. I have not gotten the rifle from him yet and I would definately work with him again.

I have done some work with Shawn Carlock but he has not built a rifle for me. Shawn has been very responsive as well and his rates are very reasonable.

SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 01-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

gunsmiths

Nate at straightshotgunsmithing.com has done some work for me recently, and I am quite impressed with both the workmanship, and also dealings with him. I will be sending him more work shortly. He posts here under 308nate.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

Call Kirby Allen it's that eze.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Chris Matthews @ LongShot Rifles has reworked a few of my rifles and is currently building me a 300 RUM from a Rem 700 LSS and a .308 off of a Lawton 7000 action. Chris can be reached @ 816 773-6500.

Think I'm happy with his work? :>)