Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How capable is my equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: How capable is my equipment?

Thanks Dave,

I got a lot of good advice over at sniper country before I bought the M3. Since this is my scope for big game I think it will work out nicely. I also looked at the M1 and others, but I was a concerned about how much time it would take to dial in a shot with 1/4moa clicks and the increased chance of error.

I haven't had time to do the research on the cams. Not sure if any of the cams will be close to 7 STW. I'll probably want to go with a homemade cam anyway so I can use the loads that I want to use.

The guys over at sniper country were saying that the M3 is actually more precise then people give it credit because you can place the knobs between clicks which gives you a maximum error of 5 inches at 1000 yards. Reportly it works fine between clicks. Does that sound right?

I didn't know that the reticle is on the thick side so I'll have to see how that works out.

I haven't paid my dues at the range yet so I don't foresee shooting at anything near 800 yards. That was part of the reason for going with the 7 stw rather then a big boomer like a 300 ultra. Hopefully I'll cut down on the recoil while still having enough power to bring down an Elk a 4-500 yards. Which for me is a very long shot at this point. Hopefully this has a lot more knock down power than my old 270 did.

I've got a Ruger 77V in 220swift and one in 243 along with a Burris 8-32 signature fine plex for those pesky varmints. I love that scope.

I'm new at this so if any of my logic is flawed speak up. I'm here to learn.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]
Old 01-28-2002, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Never tried any of mine between "clicks".

I'll be 'lito' aka catshooter responded about the M3 over at Sniper Country. I spend a little time over there too.

I'm sure a well placed shot at 400 yards will kill and elk. Trick is to keep the elk from knowing what you're shoot him with... He won't die if he thinks the cartridge isn't respectable as an elk cartridge. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Bronze Member

Dave King,

Every wonder why I didn't post a reply to my 400 yd doe season event? It has to do with that "one full revoloution off" problem. Practice week before the season was perfect--put my life size deer target at 430 yards, consulted my drop chart, dialed in, bingo, 3 shots in the vitals at the exact elevation. SO, I was feeling pretty good...but somehow I got one full rev. off when I had a real shot a week later. VERY embarassing. 7 does, 3 tries, evrything WAY low, but couldn't get it figured out in time. Wasn't until I went to the range and realized I was 15 inches below my previous 100 yard POI. Then I started thinking...on the Leupold 6.5x20, 1/4 moa clicks, one full rev=15 Inches at 100yds...Interestingly, this was with a Stoney Point knob, which doesn't have the indexing of the regular turrets on my other Leupold scopes I use for varminting.

Anyway, I learned a big lesson....
Old 01-28-2002, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

sr90,

The A4 stock was $385 from tacticalstocks.com. It came with the adjustable cheek piece, but no recoil pad or studs. The quality of the cheek piece and the entire stock is outstanding. I was kind of wishing that it had the aluminum bedding blocks like the H.S. Precision stocks, but I guess it's really not necessary as most people who are going to spend 400 on a stock will go ahead and glass bed it. BTW: There's an article on sniper country.com about the A4 and it states that Gale McMillan says it's not mandatory to bed the stock.

Also, I have the one in wooded camo. It looks great but the finish is shiny instead of being flat like it should be. I'll probably camo the entire rifle with spray paint, but it's gonna be a sad day.

I think it will work fine with a rear bag. There's 3 or 4 inches of stock past the hook.