Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How to build a LR gun, revisited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2001, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to build a LR gun, revisited.

Brent,
I have checked my 35P's against Oehler's big multi-thousand dollar lab unit called the Model 83 and the velocities are bang-on.

There is also a more sophisticated model called the M43 that will do chamber pressures but it requires a laptop to operate. It can use acustic mic's (super sensitive microphones instead of skyscreens) that utilize the sound wave of the bullet to not only determine speed but the location that each bullet traveled relative to others (it shows your group and group size). The M43 will also work with standard screens. It is a great unit but not as userfriendly as the 35P - more for advanced reloaderholics.

You don't need the diffusers on overcast days, other than they give you a nice referance point for ensuring your bullets fly through the "zone". I believe the reason that diffusers were designed was because of a problem with a "glint" or hotspot on the nose of certain really polished bullets on bright sunny days that fooled the sensor. The diffuser makes for a bit of shade you might say. I had the predecessor of the 35P called the Model 33 back in the stone-ages and it did not originally have the diffusers. I recall glint problems with Sierra bullets with wonky numbers coming up.

Simple fact: Orange and black material streaking through your field of view is not good...
Old 12-16-2001, 12:58 AM
Bronze Member

I've had very good luck with the Pact MKIV Chrono/Timer. Pact has a sell on them now for 199.95 including shipping and a skyscreen bracket. A printer is available for more $. I'm sure it is not as nice as the oelher but I'm well pleased with mine and it contains a ballistic computer that is handy to have in the field sometimes.
Pacts phone no is 800-722-8462: 308
Old 12-16-2001, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Brent,
"How does it work without the diffusers, does it only need them in direct sunlight on clear days like the Chrony brand chronys?"

I do not believe they are necessary on dull days but I like to set them up to have a reference for where to shoot.

I have never had a problem with my 35P's except for the little battery trapdoor in the bottom breaking - easily fixed with some Scotch tape.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.