Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

How about a TC Encore?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 PM

How about a TC Encore?

So what do you guys think can a encore be a quality longrange rifle? I was shooting today, shot some 3 shot inch and half groups At 100 yds with factory ammo. Do you think it's worth trying to really tune it in? Mine is in 280 Rem.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: How about a TC Encore?

I have a 7-08 Encore and have done a few things to it. I have done the trigger so it is so smooth it compares with my Jewel. I put the oversized hinge pin and now I am working up loads.

So far I have a load that shoots right at an inch at a hundred every time. I have shot a few groups under 1/2" at 100 but I am still trying to get it a little better. It is a hunting rifle and I have shot two Whitetail in Wisconsin and a hog in California.

I shot it over the chronograph this weekend and the load varies to much so that is why I am seeing groups not being consistent. I am headed for new primers and more evaluation.

To answer your question I think the encore can produce some good groups if you do a few things to it. It would depend on what you consider long range. It appears with my work so far that it would be very effective out to 400 to 500 yards.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 PM

SQ, That's about what I was thinking as fas as range. I put a different trigger spring in mine.But i gonna work on it some more. I like the concept of the rifle,I just think single shots are cool! I have a 700 BDL in a 280 also,that I reload for. I hav'nt shot any reloads thru the Encore yet.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

Go to this page Bellm TCs, Inc. - FREE Encore Trigger job instruction download and download the trigger job instructions. It is really easy to make the trigger really good. Use a really light stone or buy his and you will be surprised at the quality of the trigger.
How does your BDL shoot?
I am thinking of a 280 AI or a 7mm SAUM build his year and I am having a hard time deciding.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM

Actually my 700 is a mountain rifle with the small barrel but it shoots great!
Usually 5 shots in a dime,unless I do something wrong.But it has good wood, and I like the way the Encore feels and not having to worry about scratching it.
I put 1 of Mike Bellm spring's in my encore,But I am going to polish the other parts and see how good it will get.
He really talks up the 280ai,in fact he had a 280ai barrel for sale the other day,I seriously considered it. He said you can buy new 280AI brass from Nosler,so you wouldn't have to make your own.
Do you get his newsletter?
It's real good for learning from him,I would say He's quite the expert on TC's!!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

The Encore is a fine rifle and is capible of some outstanding accuracy.

one thing that is critical with the Encore though is how you shoot it off the bench , forend placement has to be very consistant or our changing the harmonics of the barrel , you realy should bed the forend so that its making contact only between the forend screws after this if its at all possible let the forend only touch the bags from the front screw to the end where the barrel is now free floated , this wll give you very repeatable harmonics. Shooting with a Harris Bi-Pod also works very well.

Mike Bellm is THE man to talk to about the Encore and his instruction on the trigger job are great , just make sure that you take your time and stone the engagements slowly , better to take the thing apart half a dozen times testing it than to screw up and change the geometery or remove to much
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM

James,My forend is synthetic.I free floated it, should I still bed it? If so whats the best way to do it?