Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Hope I Made a Good Decision?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Hope I Made a Good Decision?

I've been wanting to build a semi custom LR rifle for sometime now, and have had my eyes on the 338 RUM or Edge.

I've have always been a Remington man and was actively looking for a sacraficial Rem 700 to pull the action for the build. With that said I have pondered the Savage 110 action, I have never heard anything bad about them and even more importantly they are cheaper.

While searching for the right Remmy today I was going from shop to shop and looking through the possibilites, just about everyone I talked to about what I was planning suggested a Savage 110 or Steven 200 magnum action. After looking at many Remingtons and not finding what I wanted for the price I took their advice and began to look at the Savage/Stevens guns. And in no time I found a used Stevens 200 7mm Remington Mag. So I made the plunge and was out the door for $275.

Now that I'm along for the ride with this Steven action I hope I made a good decision.

Will this make for a good start for what I'm wanting to build?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hope I Made a Good Decision?

It is an excellent platform for many builds. I am constructing a 20 vartarg out of a stevens 200 SA right now. the action is identical to a savage short action but the trigger is not adjustable for creep. my suggestion would be to drop in an aftermarket trigger or add a take up adjustment screw (will need to be done at a machine shop) and go from there. The aftermarket for savage isnt quite as large as it is for the Rem 700 platform but there is a lot out there. Another big advantage of the savage platform is the fact that you can screw in a prefit barrel yourself with the right tools, and you can have multiple barrels that are fairly easy to interchange.

One last consideration you need to think about is do you want this to be a repeater? with the mentioned cartridges seating them out long enough to make use of all the available cace capacity will be longer than will fit in the magazine.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

If I were to purchase a good stock, barrel and trigger, would a gunsmith take those components and build a LR rig with an accuracy garantee? Or are the garantees only with rifles that they would supply the parts?

Also were would i get the tools to remove the factory barrel, I would like to sell it?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on the Smith. If you have one in mind then I'd say talk to them befoe you start buying components because if you want them to gurantee the accuracy you'll have to let them pick the components/manufacturers.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Action Wrench #2 Remington 700 Savage 110

Barrel Nut Wrench Savage 10 110

these are the tools you need, along with appropriate headspace gauges, getting the factory barrel off is going to take some elbow grease
Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

STOP!! do not buy anything but a trigger!
You have a very capable cartrige, go shoot it before you make the plunge into a semi-custom!
When I bought my first rifle (other than what my father gave me) I went straight to a .338 WBY and then a .338 RUM.Ill tell you this "300 grain bullets aint cheap!".

I now how several other rifles and get my fair share of LR trigger time, but for the first three years of my LR shooting endevor I was broke, and trying to buy bullets at more than a buck a pop was making it worse. I live in Canada so its pricier yet, but you can still shoot that 7 Rem alot cheaper than a .338 of any sorts.

I shoot a .280 REM also. heres a quick comparison.

.338 RUM brass- $68 CAD. bullets/50- $54. powder- around 95grains.

.280 brass - $28 to $40 (for the good stuff). bullets/100- $38. powder- around 60 grians.

If the barrel you have now shoots good or even OK, shoot it till its COOKED!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
STOP!! do not buy anything but a trigger!
You have a very capable cartrige, go shoot it before you make the plunge into a semi-custom!
When I bought my first rifle (other than what my father gave me) I went straight to a .338 WBY and then a .338 RUM.Ill tell you this "300 grain bullets aint cheap!".

I now how several other rifles and get my fair share of LR trigger time, but for the first three years of my LR shooting endevor I was broke, and trying to buy bullets at more than a buck a pop was making it worse. I live in Canada so its pricier yet, but you can still shoot that 7 Rem alot cheaper than a .338 of any sorts.

I shoot a .280 REM also. heres a quick comparison.

.338 RUM brass- $68 CAD. bullets/50- $54. powder- around 95grains.

.280 brass - $28 to $40 (for the good stuff). bullets/100- $38. powder- around 60 grians.

If the barrel you have now shoots good or even OK, shoot it till its COOKED!
Good point. Just put a good trigger on it, have it floated and bedded and shoot the hell out of it.

7mm Mag is more than enough gun for 95% of hunters and what they are capable range wise.

By the time a guy has shot a 7mm Mag enough to wear one out he may have just had enough practice to do justice to a more customized LR rig.

If it shoots well at all after trigger, floating, bedding, the next step up might be to move to a better stock than whatever factory stock this came with.