Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Hey experts, Can we have a lesson on wind doping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: Hey experts, Can we have a lesson on wind doping?

Thanks Ian, that's the kind of stuff I need. I know some others are eager to type a good long response! Don't be shy now!
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Another good read is "Dead on" There are some good tips on utilizing mirage and vegatation. In sheep country where I like to hunt often times one can use patches of fog as they frequently roll in and out of the mountains. They will clue a shooter in on direction and speed. Mirage is very usefull beacuse it is almost always present, esspecially in winter as heat (although very little heat) reflects off the snow. You can actually see the wind direction and to a point guage its speed. There are also a number of wind guages out there such as the Kestral and Brunton units.

Hope that will help you get started.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Something that is significant in understanding the movement of wind over undulating terrain is to imagine what water would do - that is what wind would do. As wind moves downslope it is picking up speed and slowing down as it goes upslope - stuff like this is difficult to quanitify but it is happening. Might be a reason a bullet does not fly where you expect it to.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Another thing to remember.. in the mornings a breeze will move heavy cold air down hill.. as the air heats up near late morning or mid-day the breeze will begin to go up hill...
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

All these guys have givin' some good advice and I'll add to it in a little different way.....the best way to learn to read the wind is shoot.... ALOT!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Not just wild shooting, but call your shot, and make a detailed log of what happened and what the conditions were when you broke the shot. Make it fun by doing it in a prairie dog town and explode some varmints!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Thanks a lot guys, I am going get a copy of "the ultimate sniper" and then just keep on shootin.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

I would suggest that you get a copy of the marine and army sniper manuals, both are on the net if you do a search. I think David Tubb also has some very good books on this stuff.