Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help Trouble shoot ' Click then boom'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help Trouble shoot ' Click then boom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning View Post
What load are you shooting? Its probably a hang fire due to not enough powder?
My load is 87gr of re22 with 210 Burger VLD. This was the max load that I found on here.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
you need an emergency room and you need it now. by that i mean a good gunsmith. a 2 year old 700 rem. usally dosent have these type problems. take your pills, meaning ammo along with you.
Anyone know of a Nor Cal site sponsored gun smith?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

i agree you need a gunsmith to look at it, depending on hourly rates and the price of a new bolt, one might be cheaper than the other, i personally would buy a bolt, because a gunsmith might tell you the problem is the bolt and you have to pay for his labor and the part, im not a gunsmith but i used to be a proffesional technition (mechanic) and its always cheaper at least on cars to buy the part and pay for installation than pay $100 for a diag then the part and installation, but on cars the list of parts that cause trouble is miles longer than on a bolt gunso thats not always on option, and with a car if you know enough to pinpoint the troublesome part you usually can do it yourself so, this probably wasnt the best analogy, but hey im not a poet im a wrenchturner
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Hunter View Post
What do I clean? I cleaned the chamber and barrel out vary well. Thanks
I'd try the bolt first, here is an article on how to do that.

It may be the trigger assembly also. It really is hard to say what the problem might be.

I was thinking it was a "hang fire" problem after reading that thread I linked to, but your load doesn't look light.

I think a gunsmith may be your best bet.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

It's pretty easy to take your Remington bolt apart, even if you don't have the Klein Endorst tool. The link above shows a pic of how it can be accomplished but no instructions. Send me a message with your email address and I'll send you an email with pics to walk you through it.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Bronze Member

Check you loads,my 6.5 dakota will do the very same thing if I try to reduce the loads . You need to have about 80 percent of the case full or this could happen. Try going to a slower powder and filling the case more. larry
Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

the thing that makes me belive its a mechanical fault not loading error is the mark he says is on all of the cases outside of the primer on the rim, if it goes in fine and comes out with that mark the pin has to be hitting it, right?

So if it goes click boom its hiiting the rim and either sliding or bouncing back on the primer setting it off.