Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help Trouble shoot ' Click then boom'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Bronze Member

Help Trouble shoot ' Click then boom'

Not sure how to describe but on the third to fifth shot the trigger hesitates before the round goes off. I tried two different primers to see if that was it but that was not it. I think! There is a round mark appearing on the flat side of the rim near the primer. I cleaned the gun well before the last but it didn't seam to matter. I'm not a gun smith and don't have time to take it to one before my CO trip. I have a back up gun a 340 Wetherby from my uncle. But I wanted to use my Rem 700 300rum. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks

JP
Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Help Trouble shoot ' Click then boom'

a few questions, is it a bolt gun? and is it new?have you tried different ammo if it is a bolt gun and new there might be a defect in the firing pin, or it might be bad ammo, but i doubt it. you said there is a mark on the rim just outside the primer, maybe the pin hits the rim then slides onto the primer which would cause a a delay and leave a mark. i am not a gunsmith either but that seems to make sense, if you can buy a new bolt assembly that might be cheaper than taking it to a gunsmith for a diagnostic, you said youve tried different primers does that mean you handload your own ammo, and if so do you use old brass with new primers or do you buy brass,primers,projectiles,and powder seperately and put em together, i dont think this is the problem because a consistantly bad primers is way less likely than, play in the firing pin assembly, if its a gun you've used for a while and this just started to happen i still think that points to a worn out part be it a spring or what have you, i hope this gives you things to look at and think about.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Gold Member

I would think there is something dirty. I would take it apart as much as you are comfortable with, then clean everything thoroughly.

I got side tracked and am cleaning my Eddystone 1917 bolt as we type. :P

EDIT: I found this thread and sounds like the same problem.
About 1 round in 20 does this. Usually I pull the trigger and its just a bang. but then there is the one that actually goes click bank.
I hope this helps.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 10-04-2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: added additional information
Old 10-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
a few questions, is it a bolt gun? and is it new?have you tried different ammo if it is a bolt gun and new there might be a defect in the firing pin, or it might be bad ammo, but i doubt it. you said there is a mark on the rim just outside the primer, maybe the pin hits the rim then slides onto the primer which would cause a a delay and leave a mark. i am not a gunsmith either but that seems to make sense, if you can buy a new bolt assembly that might be cheaper than taking it to a gunsmith for a diagnostic, you said youve tried different primers does that mean you handload your own ammo, and if so do you use old brass with new primers or do you buy brass,primers,projectiles,and powder seperately and put em together, i dont think this is the problem because a consistantly bad primers is way less likely than, play in the firing pin assembly, if its a gun you've used for a while and this just started to happen i still think that points to a worn out part be it a spring or what have you, i hope this gives you things to look at and think about.
Yes Rem. 700 300 Ultra Magnum. 2 Yr old. Tried Rem. Fed., and Winchester with no problems. The primer looks good, the mark is on the lettering. I used once fired brass and new brass with new primers less the one year old. Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
I would think there is something dirty. I would take it apart as much as you are comfortable with, then clean everything thoroughly.

I got side tracked and am cleaning my Eddystone 1917 bolt as we type. :P

EDIT: I found this thread and sounds like the same problem.
About 1 round in 20 does this. Usually I pull the trigger and its just a bang. but then there is the one that actually goes click bank.
I hope this helps.
What do I clean? I cleaned the chamber and barrel out vary well. Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

What load are you shooting? Its probably a hang fire due to not enough powder?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

you need an emergency room and you need it now. by that i mean a good gunsmith. a 2 year old 700 rem. usally dosent have these type problems. take your pills, meaning ammo along with you.