Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help: New shooter looking for decent rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Bronze Member

Help: New shooter looking for decent rifle

Hello there,
I'm going to be getting my gun license soon and am hoping to get into long range shooting and hunting. the problem is I don't know a whole lot about guns themselves. therefor I don't really know a whole heck of a lot about what gun I should be getting. I have shot before, when i was young enough to not need a license, and am proficient up to around 250- 325 meters. for the hunting part I live in an area where the smallest animal (without going into raccoon sized animals) are white tail deer, but I also plan on hunting elk. I' am a student so money is kind of an issue so please nothing more than 1200. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 1kilo eventually (maybe more). last stipulation is that I do live in Canada so if you know its a weapon unobtainable here please dont suggest it.
Thanks in advance, Evan
Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help: New shooter looking for decent rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDewbie View Post
Hello there,
I'm going to be getting my gun license soon and am hoping to get into long range shooting and hunting. the problem is I don't know a whole lot about guns themselves. therefor I don't really know a whole heck of a lot about what gun I should be getting. I have shot before, when i was young enough to not need a license, and am proficient up to around 250- 325 meters. for the hunting part I live in an area where the smallest animal (without going into raccoon sized animals) are white tail deer, but I also plan on hunting elk. I' am a student so money is kind of an issue so please nothing more than 1200. I'd like to be able to shoot out to 1kilo eventually (maybe more). last stipulation is that I do live in Canada so if you know its a weapon unobtainable here please dont suggest it.
Thanks in advance, Evan
The Japanese made Howa is a good buy , the barrels are hammer forged on German made machines and shoot very well I have found. Howa, Howa Rifle, Howa 1500 Rifle, Howa Guns, Howa Accessories Buy the one you like in a 30-06 and you are good for White tail to Elk no worries and can handle a Grizzly if required . Also you can push a 308 Match bullet fast enough to shoot targets at 600 to 700 yards.Don't be put off by the nay sayers that will nock thesse rifles just because they are not US made. They are still good value for the money.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

My father has a Vanguard/Howa in .243, it's a great shooter for sure & has some nice features.

Lets break it down a little, not in any particular order:

1) Remington 700 LA/SA= Good usable action, decent trigger & generally accuate, the stock is terrible & needs to be replaced, every aftermarket part imaginable.

2) Savage 110/10- 112/12= Generally doesn't need to be "trued" due to the action design (read cost savings), the trigger (for me) has been great if you can get used to it. Well known for "out of the box" accuracy, can be re-barreled at home (with proper tools), well priced rifle for the performance. Bolt lift is somewhat stiffer than Remmies ($8.00 fix), I don't really like the extractors but they work ok.

3) Howa 1500= Great extractor, good action/barrel, OK trigger. Aftermarket is somewhat lacking but catching up as fast as can be expected. IMHO it's kinda like an extra wheel, we've already got Rem, Win, WBY, Savage & a plethora of established custom actions... why bother with the new kid on the block? anywho.....

4) Win 70= Great action (CRF), very strong, ok triggers, don't know about their barrels. pretty pricy (YMMV) for a beginner (I don't have a lot of experience here).

Do a LOT of reading here, there is a TON of great information on this topic. All of the above can be had in nearly any cartridge combo imaginable so it's up to you.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

I was looking at the Browning X-Bolt, know anything about that? and, not trying to sound like a novice, but what do you mean by trued?
Thanks, Evan
Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

rem sendero and leup
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

I am sure this is your first rifle for long range hunting, I like my Remingtons but out of the box dead accurate? go for a Savage bolt action..
they are the #1 out of the box accurate rifle, and the next purchase you MUST buy a good scope.
Loupo, Nikon,Burris. do not skimp on the scope, but you don't need to break the bank.
if you are just Deer Hunting, Nikon for the money is worth it... This scope must last for many years you cant have a scope fail during hunting season..this has happened to many hunters
and I am one of them..ask around, the three mentioned is in my opinion the makes who have never failed me, the prices are ok but do not buy junk or a scope with a bad warentee.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

my grandpa gave me a leupold mrk 4 long range/ tactical 4.5-14x50so im good for the scope. The only problem with the savage guns is that the outdoor outfitters near me doesnt sell them, they said the nearest place that does is on the mainland ( i live on an island) and a fairly lengthy drive. I'm trying to talk to the shipper/ receiver here to order one for me though. and about ammo, I know that if your trying to shoot at like exceptionally long ranges you'd want to make your own, but I can't do that, any thoughts what is a good out of the box ammo?
Thanks, Evan