Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help With a New Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Help With a New Rifle

I am new to the site and have spent countless hours reading the vast amounts of knowledge stored here. However, I am still having a hard time finding an answer to my question. I would like to have a rifle in 7mm wsm for mostly hunting purposes. I would like it to be able to shoot around 700 yards. I live on a south Texas ranch that has abundance of hogs and after many years of hunting trying to slow down the population the weary beasts are getting further away making it more of a challenge. I am pretty stuck on the 7 wsm since I was given 27 boxes of fail safe ammo and no rifle to make them go away ( I would reload to shoot the long distances) . I was trying to stay under $1500 on the rifle itself and then I am thinking of putting a Night Force on top, unless someone has any other suggestions. Any info and suggestions for the rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

If you build the rifle off of a Savage action yourself you can save some dough. It's very easy to install a match grade barrel yourself. I'd also suggest a long action so you can seat the high BC bullets close to the lands and still mag feed. I've gotten great deals from pawn shops on savage rifles for donor actions. You should be able to make your budget on a remmy as well, it'll just cost a little more due to the cost of a gun smith's labor. The Night Force are excellent scopes. Also check out Leupols Mk 4's, USO, and S&B. I love my Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 tactical 30mm tube ($527) but if you have the money for some nicer glass definately go for it.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 AM

That sounds like a pretty good idea for a start. Would I be better off buying a new savage in 7 wsm and then changing out the barrel vs. buying a used gun. I work on all my competition "cowboy guns" and do all my own action work on the revolvers and lever guns and I have worked quite a bit on my AR's, so I think could do the work. I would like to check out some USO glass but sounds like bang for the buck the Night Force may be the way to go. I have a MK4 on a .308 that I really like but I like to try new things.
Thanks for the advice
Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

The Winchester Coyote in 7WSM is a good rifle , good laminated stock , medium heavy barrel and all the ones I've seen will shoot sub 1moa right out of the box and with a bedding job and some trigger work they will get down to the 1/2 moa range.

Tell me more about your 308 , make modle , barrel length and so on.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, somebody gave you 27 boxes of failsafes.....is this loaded ammo? What are you planning on shooting with them might I ask?

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM

I actually have 3 308's
Remington VTR with the MK 4 and a badger detach mag
Winchester model 70 "heavy Varmint" 24" with a Burris XTR
AR 10 with a 20" and a Burris Laser Range scope

The ammo is 17 boxes of 160 gr Fail Safes and then 10 of some 140 gr. Don't really remember what the specifics of the latter 10, but there are some pigs running around out here with their name on them. A friend of mine bought a winchester 70 (not sure exactly which one but it had a blind box magazine on it) in 7wsm and about 35 boxes of various ammo, he said the gun shot terrible and gave up on it. He then gave me his leftovers
Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Wow, good deal! Welcome to the site!
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><