Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

help for new lr rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Bronze Member

help for new lr rig

Hi everybody this is my first post on lrh and I'm looking for any help/info/opinions from everybody and anybody on the site. I've been shooting for years with my dad's 150gr load for 270 on our out of the box remington 700 setup for years and I'm lookiing for something that will reach out a little further.

I'm comfortable on that setup out to 400-500yds but I want something that will be able to handle elk as far out as I can practice to shoot. I've been doing some research and the 7mm round has caught my eye but I don't know what cartrage to put behind it (please forgive me in advance for any misusage of terminology. I'm still young and eager to learn as much as possible BEFORE starting a build). I hear alot of good things about the 7STW but how does that compare with the RUM and Dakota? Are my intrests in the 7mm misguided and if so which caliber should I be looking at?

Pretty much I'm just looking for something that has as more range than I do and will stay that way after years of practice and hunting. I would like to keep the recoil managable but it seems a good muzzle break will tame the majority of loads so pretty much any info on the caliber, bullet, cartrage, case, scope, stock, barrel, trigger, ect, will be more that helpful and of course I will consult my local gunsmith before I go and do anything foolish

thanks so much, younggun
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: help for new lr rig

how about something like a wsm. that should be good out to at least 1000m. but then again why not just get an egde and be done with it...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Younggun,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! The 7MM Mag is an excellent caliber choice with plenty of bullet choices with high BCs ... and will definitely do your intended purpose.

Here's an excellent article from Bryan Litz What's Wrong With .30 Caliber? for your thoughts and consideration.

Depending on your recoil sensitivity and if you want to spot your hits, an effective baffle type muzzle brake from one of the sponsors here might be in order.

I'm sure other guys will chime in. Good luck and again welcome!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

I've got a 7mm Rem Mag and love it. I got it for the same purpose you are looking at it for. The 7mm STW would also be a viable option if you use a muzzle brake, the STW is a ballistic upgrade to the 7mm Rem Mag.

I upgraded from my .308 Win. (which I still have lol), I can shoot 500 to 600 with that rifle confidently, but I wanted something with more energy and better ballistics. I'm shooting the 162gr. A-Maxes out of the 7mm currently, and it's consistently sub-1/2 moa at almost any range. It's not a true lrh setup (light barrel, etc.), but it shoots great at extended ranges and it's relatively light to carry.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum, boy do remember those days... so many choices! If you are a fan of the 7mm then go that route, there is nothing wrong with them, manageable recoil, high bc, HUGE selection of bullets. The 7mm Remington Mag is suprising me more every day, as my hunting partner has one (I do the reloading), that thing will eat most any load we throw at it. I have been kicking around the idea of an STW & even tried to get him to rechamber/rebarrel his rifle to that chamber (to no avail). My go to rifle is a Rem 700 SA in 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot & I just had a custom .338 RUM built to handle the LONG stuff. The 7 RUM may be a great selection for the long range hunter but may be a little too overbore for long range target pactice, I'm not sure what the difference in BBL life is between the STW & the RUM will be (probably not much), but as we have all learned, horsepower comes with a price. As far as optics goes, buy the BEST scope you can afford, do not play around in this area, remember, your long range rig is only as good as the repeatability of your optics, set yourself up with a one piece mount from Nightforce, Badger, Leupold etc as well as quality scope rings. Sounds like you're already headed the right direction by doing your homework FIRST, keep us posted on what you decide & above all HAVE FUN.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 AM
SPONSOR

A guy can always skip right to the end and get an Edge, but you really should start off with something that will teach you the basics.

The 7mm WSM or 7Rem Mag will allow you to shoot alot and not burn out the barrel before hunting season. Use 180gr Bergers and you will be set.

Buy the best scope you can afford, remember, you can always use it again on the next rifle. The same thing goes for the mounts and rings...use quality. A super accurate rifle means nothing if you can't see the target or the scope won't track correctly.

Do it right the first time and use a Jewel trigger. You will thank me for it later. Once you try one, you will want one on every rifle from that point foward. Contrary to popular belief, they run fine in field conditions. I have had my glock not cyle in tactical matches, yet my Jewel went off every time and has never failed me...even in -30 degree temps.

Stocks are a matter of personal preference. Feel as many as you can and see what is comfortable to you.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

It is a real good idea to get into a chambering like the 300WSM when getting started. You can shoot the heck out of it and get long barrel life with a vast number of good bullet choices. If you don't shoot more than a hundred or two a year then a hotter round may do ya, but you get so much better at what it takes to LRH if you shoot a lot more than that and you want a long life consistent chambering so you can just worry about shooting not the lands moving all the time and the speed changing. A 300WSM built on a trued action with a medium heavy barrel 26in-28in long with a brake all in a LRH style stock would be awesome to start with IMO.

Or a 338 RUM if you want the long range smack down in a heavy rifle, same reasons as above.

Welcome, to LRH by the way, it's a lot of fun around here and guys are real helpful!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"