Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help with my gun idea.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help with my gun idea.

Gotta throw a wrench in the works- do not do the RSAUM!!! Remington is stopping production on them due to the fact they suck compared to the WSMs and brass will be hard to get in the future.
A 7 WSM will work in a Rem action just fine...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Whats your price? Email me at shoota7mm@msn.com. Your project sounds like a good one except for the short mag part due to hearing mixed reviews from friends who own them. I have never shot a heavy barrel version but have fired 10 or 15 rounds thru a 7mm wsm in a browning a bolt and recoil was hellish! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] It did however group them well to be a factory rifle and ammo. I would lean towards the wsm if remington is going to stop production of their version but I dont see why they would because from what I gather they were working on a 25 cal short mag. I would check into that.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if you have looked at the Long Range Hunting Rifle Series column in the main index, the rifle that George Gardner built for me is very similar to what you are looking for. GA Precision has been building these rifles for a while now, they are superb. They are now called the NONTYPICAL (George's specialty is heavier tactical rifles and he uses all the accuracy tricks in the lighweight hunting rifle). Longest kill with mine has been 783 yards on a mule deer, killed four over 700 with it, all first-shot, one shot kills. Really nice toting 8 pounds instead of 12-14 in the field.
There are limitations on barrel diameter that can be fluted, we went with a #3 and it is sweet. My rifle is in .300 WSM, George built himself one in 7mm WSM and they look identical. George shot a 3-shot group that went into one one hole at two hundred yards with his when he was breaking it in - accurate rifle and a very good rifleman. My rifle has shot many five shot groups under 0.5" if I can hold it well, I am the big variable in that equation [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] When my barrel is shotout I plan on getting it rebarreled to 7mm WSM, less recoil, still great bullet selection.

You might get some ideas from that old column, lots of interest in the project as we did it. I cannot recommend George highly enough, his rifles shoot superbly, he is prompt and keeps his word and he is a very nice person to deal with. He has excellent guys working in his shop, they are all craftsmen.

There are other smiths who frequent this site who you could consider also - we are very fortunate to have them share their knowledge so willingly.