Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

help me build my carry gun & can i get my barrel contoured?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Bronze Member

Re: help me build my carry gun & can i get my barrel contoured?

Thank you guys for all your input....I may just end up selling the barreled action...or may just keep it and build a .338 EDGE....Gonna stay with a .338 though as where i am going caribou hunting this year there are some(very few) Polar bears and i dont want anything less. I was up there 3 years ago and they ended up shooting one in camp...now i never saw one but u better belive i looked at my .270 with alot of....well lets just say hope! Roy I like the stock alot! tell me, what did it start out as? and what did you build it up with? i got a 7 mm mag PSS that i want to play with a bit and i would like to extend the pistol grip out a bit and thicken the palm swell as well/ thought about using Bondo to do this but thought where the edge was featherd may produce a crack line over time thru the paint....thanks again guys
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

oops almost forgot...Roy just tryin to get to Greene county...think the edge will do it? any way how do you know this area?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Cut my teeth on fox, coon, rabbits, pheasants, grouse, chucks, deer up in Eau Claire in Butler County. My brother is Chips Kennels and runs super hooty high priced setters all over the place.

That poor stock went through several different phases and I. I used Bondo on the entire stock to get rid of the wood grain and checkering. BTW it was a BDL stock. I also used Bondo to fill the mag well and bottom metal area. The Bondo cracked and shrunk in the mag well and fell out. I JB Welded it back in.

Bondo is ok if not applied too thick. Way too thick and it cracks.

I used resin and fiber glass cloth for the palm swell then covered it with Bondo then covered that with the stuff that comes in a clear plastic tube, black in the center and grey on the out side. You squeeze it around until it mixed to a grey color and gets hot. If you wet you fingers it can be smoothed well. It works well with a file/rasp and sandpaper after it hardens.

The resin and cloth is not on the list of things to use any more. The edges of the cloth show through too easily.

Palm swells are great with that squeeze it up stuff. Just glob a bunch on there, but not too much [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] cover with a piece of plastic wrap and shoulder the stock and squeeze with you hand and whaa la you have a palm swell that fits with only a little additional finish work.

For the rough black color of the stock I used pick up bed liner. All the p/u guys use black so that is all that's available in the local stores. So that'w what I used. Its finishes as hard as Hades and gives a very good grip with out having to resort to non skid or that garsh awful stuff McMillan does to those A5s around the grip and fore arm. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]