Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don't know anything!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don\'t know anything!!

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I would change from what Grit said is I would be Ok with a gun that would shoot 1MOA everytime, all the time as long as I wasn't going to shoot over 600 yards with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know what that means, 1MOA remember I'm as new as they come. But thanks for your info.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks screech,
Now another question. What is creep and slack?
Sorry but I love learning these things.
Thanks James
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Bronze Member

Hillajam, you can always use the search function and look up the terms you don't fully understand yet. 1 MOA for the purposes of this discussion is basically 1" per 100 yards. As in, if your rifle can shoot 6" at 600 yards, it is still shooting MOA "Minute of Angle".
Minute of angle really is minutes of angle. A circle is 360 degrees, each degree is made up of 60 minutes. According to my math then, 1 minute of angle (MOA) is 1/21600 of a circle. When you extrapolate that small angle at distance, it conveniently comes out to around 1.047" at 300 feet (100 yards). For your purposes right this moment, this paragraph is unnecessary. Remember 1" per 100 yards (ie 2" at 200, 3" at 300....etc) and you're good for now.

Also... I am in Big Rapids, Michigan... ifn you're ever over this way there's some state land that offers 700 yard shooting with a good backstop if you're looking to send some downrange with a friend. I could give you a reloading/component crash course to the best of my ability too... keep it in mind. My email is juniorwrangler @ hotmail.com (without the spaces).
You came to the right place with your questions, these guys have taught me everything I didn't make up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

-Mike

(edited because my spelling is stoopid)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Wow, thanks a ton. I'm allready learning soo much from you guys, I think I'm actually comprehending what you are saying. Thanks I'll try the search.
James
Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don\'t know anythin

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks screech,
Now another question. What is creep and slack?
Sorry but I love learning these things.
Thanks James

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

I grew up in Colorado and hunted out west a LOT.

I've been reloading for 30 years and have access to a 200yd range near Lapeer.

I'd love to help you out.

Drop me an email, I live near you and we could meet for a cup of coffee and talk hunting / shooting for a bit.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

The way I understand it is creep is any kind of imperfections in you're trigger pull. you pull and feel it jump or come back in stages. slack is if you're trigger moves wile pulling it back until it hits the set weight were it goes off. I might not be 100 percent right and if I am not someone correct me as for me to learn and for hillajam not to get set off on the wrong foot.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

I'd take AJ up on his offer, always easier to learn from experience.