Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help! Gun will no longer group at all!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Re: Help! Gun will no longer group at all!

trash it and get a remington...

check out the action screws... scope bases and rings... scope may have taken a crap on you... several leups sent back for misbehaving... check out your primer pockets as well.. did this happen over night or a progression? throat may have taken a choke on you... check em out, might help...

Unread 08-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

It might be caused by all the things listed above...........or not. I shot the barrel out of my old tried and trued commercial Mauser 98 in 30-06. Sounds just like what you are describing. Groups were tight, then started to have a wild shot or two now and again that I figured must have been me. Then all at once it started shooting 5" groups. I went nuts trying to fix it. It must have been the powder lot, of primer lot, or.......

Then it must be that the scope went south, so I swapped scopes.........

I don't know how many times I had it apart and under the scope looking at every detail. That rifle got a better cleaning than any rifle ever has - several times, and nothing changed the group one bit. I confirmed that it wasn't me by printing sub-moa groups with my other rifles.

Look at everything everybody else has recommended - all of these things can affect the groups. But in the end, you may be right that the throat is eroded badly enough to cause what you are seeing. The .280 isn't as bad as some about burning barrels, but it does hold enough slow-burning powder to erode the throat faster than some other calibers.

If you like the Ruger, then keep the Ruger. Your accurate rifle didn't just become inaccurate because it just discovered that it said Ruger on the barrel. I've had my butt kicked in competition with rifles and calibers that I wouldn't have given you ten cents for before the match. The proof is in the shootin'.
Attitude is EVERYTHING!
Unread 08-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Writers Guild

Review what and how you loaded your ammo before. Look at the bedding, stock for cracks, any looseness in bases/rings. See if the barrel is hitting the stock now - wood stocks will shift over time.

Review your shooting technique and see if you shoot as well as you did before. Have you changed any lots of components?

By looking at all the little steps, you can quickly decide if the barrel is shot out or not.

Another quick test is to measure runout of your ammo. Dies do wear out. Also measure the throat and see if the bullet must clear the neck before engraving the rifling.

If either of these occurs, you will need to remedy.

Unread 08-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

I think it has something to do with the brake. Maybe the barrel harmonics are messed up because of the brake. How does it shoot with the brake removed?

All good advise is posted above. Did the gunsmith have a look down the bore with a bore scope? Could be the barrel bit the dust too, in which case I would re-barrel with a Lilja.

Good luck,

Unread 08-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Bronze Member

It really sounds like a scope problem to me. Take the scope off, tighten everything, and put a known good scope on it. If it still is shooting 8" groups at 100 yards, try to straighten the barrel out with a large hammer and see if that helps. But, check that scope.
If you speak in the middle of a forest, and no women hear you, are you still wrong?
Unread 08-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

I had a similar problem recently and found, after checking and verifying everything you would normally check, that the barrel was actually loose in the reciever.