Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help! Gun will no longer group at all!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:28 AM

Help! Gun will no longer group at all!

I have a Ruger 77 in 280 that will no longer group. In the past I have shot .75 moa with 100 grain hollow point and 1.25 with just about everything else. It will no longer soot a group average group no is 8" at 100 yards fliers every where. The barrel has been lapped, custom trigger, muzzel brake, heavy barrel, pillar posts, glass bedded. Bore cleaned out electronically and has no effect I am shooting 140 gr Nozler Ballistic tips and Hornady 140 grain equivalents. The same grouping happens even when scopes have been changed. I am beginning to think I have shot out the barrel but loss of accuracy happened so quick. Can any one help? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help! Gun will no longer group at all!

Is this a new LOT of bullets??? A LOT that has not been previously fired through the rifle.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

Did you check, and did you trim to length?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Maybe you should try reaming flash holes on a lathe or adjusting your seating depth in .0000001" increments using the bifurcated ladder method. Try shooting only due east or west to minimize coriolis force... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, though.

8" groups at 100? Something's loose or the bullet is hitting that new muzzle brake on the way outta town, sir.

[ 08-18-2004: Message edited by: STL ]
Old 08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

Stop drinking. Your seeing double and your picking the wrong target. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ronnie
Old 08-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with all the above tips.

I assume that you have looked down the bore with a good light at the other end. If you havent then I suggest that you do. I knew a benchrest shooter that suddenly got rotten groups only to find that the rifling had all but dissappeared in the bore. He blamed the polishing compound he added to the corncob media in his case tumbler. He thinks that it coated the inside of the case and made a goopy mixture of corn cob dust that abraided(sp?) the bore with each shot.

It might be a crap story but dosent hurt to look.

You also mentioned that you have a new brake. Did the group open up immeadiatly after the install? If so it could be a burr on the muzzle.

Lastly have a friend shoot the same ammo from your gun and/or from their gun. This will tell you alot about the problem being the gun or the ammo or you.

2 cents.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ambush,

If a rifle came into my shop that was a know 3/4 moa rifle and then after this work you listed shot into 8" groups I would first and formost look at the muzzle crown.

About the only way to go from 3/4 moa to 8" groups is either a loose scope ring, loose action screws or a damaged crown.

What brake was fitted to the barrel and was it recrowned after the brake was fitted?

Who did the extra work on your rifle?

More information is needed.

THis problem is far to severe for a loading problem, you have a mechanical problem with the rifle somewhere.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com