Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help with a Gift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help with a Gift

The savage may have a greater felt recoil due to cheap tupperware stocks and cheasy recoil pads but a 243 only has 243 recoil no matter who makes it. The weight of the gun and stock style determine the amount of felt recoil.
While your fitting the stock to him treat it with a good recoil pad to help with the felt recoil part. I'm a remy person but like savages as well so either one gets my vote for the manufacturer part.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Remington Model 7 in my opinion is the end-all for this discussion. I started hunting with a BLR .243, but most of my friends had guns similar to what others described with stocks cut and such. Model 7s can be used by anyone, including his future sweetheart when he teachs her how to hunt, etc. If I'm not mistaken, the new stock design on the Model 7, you have a drop in R3 pad that reduces felt recoil. I was 6 when I started with a .243. Recoil and .243 is almost an oxymoron.

I had a .260 Model 7 SS picked out for my girlfriend to use in the upcoming season. She's now gone, but the rifle is still in the works, lol!
Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

243 is a great rifle for "experienced" hunter who picks his shots on large deer and uses the 100 gr bullets. Very little margin of error for youths normally.

7mm-08 can use 120s very easily starting on and graduate 140s up to 175s later on.

More versatile in my opinion and little more knockdown.

BH
Old 09-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Id have to go with Bountyhunter on this one too. 7mm08 is a great round for youths. You might have a look at the youth rifles that howa is making. They are about 6.5 lbs, and the ones ive messed with were very accurate.If he outgrows the stock, point him towards www.boydboys.com who have a varitety of stocks from varmit to sporter for this rifle (since all of the stocks sold on howa rifles come from them) for about $130 no matter the style, finished and ready to mount. I had a coworker who bought one of these rifles a year, for 3 years in a row. His wife claimed the first one, his oldest daughter the second, and his youngest daughter the third. He is hoping to keep this years for his own. All 3 have killed deer so far with theirs btw.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:56 AM

I bought both of my boys .243's when they turned 12 and were old enough to deerhunt. The first one was a Ruger 77 stainless and the other was a Browning A-bolt with their version of a brake on it. Both boys killed bucks with these rifles their first year out. Both were one shot kills. It pays to start them out early on .22 rimfires. They were both using 95 grain Nosler Partitions.

Make the first shot count because more often than not the second one won't!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with you BountyHunter, and I also have bought two 243's for my younsters in the past, but do agree with what you're saying. Because of that I like bumping just a little and have come to be an admirer of the 308 Winchester. It truly is an impresive round.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Ok I am hearing 243, 7mm08, and 308. Anything else. I am thincking I am going to go bigger then 243 but dont know yet. I am really worried about his ability to manage the rifle. He handles a 20gauge single shot full stock well but it just swamps him. I have never shot a 7mm08 or a 308 how do they compare on recoil?