Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

Help with a Gift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Help with a Gift

I am looking at getting my baby brother a deer rifle for his birthday and wanted some suggestions. The little guy is almost 12, he is kinda on the small side but it will be a year before he will be hunting with it. The genetics in the family run towards the bigger side though so he should be shooting up like a weed soon.
Any ideas on caliber and make? I am a savage guy but i am upon for anything.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help with a Gift

Everyone I know in East TX started out with a light sporter in either .243 Win or .257 Roberts. You might even consider a .260 in say a Model 7, but it is hard to beat a .243!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

robins,
That's en excellent question that many of us sooner or latter has to face. I did not to long ago (again for the third time) and like sewwhat89 says the 243 Winch. is hard to beat. I ended up buying my 12 years old a 243 Winch. and my buddy's son starting shooting at age of 12 his 257 Roberts,(good job sewwhat89), I have still put some more thought into it, now I have changed my views... I think the 308 Winch. is the way to go. Simply because a youngster would have something to grow into or to grow with. With the vast choice of bullets for the 308 Winch. it can be loaded to do what the 243 Winch. does and more. As the youngter grows, the bullet weight grows as needed. Though many Elks have been shot with the 243 Winch., the 308 Winch. is definately a better caliber for Elk. He can grow to shoot heavier bullets like the 180 Grains Accubond which at MV=2640 can be shot out to 1000 yards before it goes subsonic and at 400 yards has enough punch (1577 ft/lb)to take a nice bull elk to the freezer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Bottom line, the 308 Winch. will do everything the 243 Winch. will and more if needed.
Later on, after a lot of practice and he is confident to shoot at long range, taking a mule deer at 700 yards... you still have enough gun and antelope at even longer distances. Just my opinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good Luck!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

M7 youth model in 7mm-08 or 260. Flat and accurate as heck.

Would use 120s in both right now.

Great deer cartridges, easy to add another stock later and still have good gun.

If you cannot find youth model right, take regular model and take off butt plate. Drill two 1/4" holes about 2-2.5 inches deep below screw holes. tape and then cut off part of stock to fit. Save cutoff piece and later it will go back on with two 1/4" dowels and fit perfectly. Just simple sanding and refinishing stock butt.

BH
Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Totally agree with BH on stock work. Get a full size gun and work the stock. Maybe agree with him on caliber being as you are on the west coast and you might need a little more horsepower than east coast whitetails.

One more step is that if he gets to be really big you can put on a thicker recoil pad and gain another half inch. No need to ever sell the gun.

One other thing is to get or make him a shooting stick or bipod because he will have some trouble holding the gun steady until he gets to be about 15 or so and begins to muscle up. What I did for my son was just to take a five foot long 2X2 and drive 18# nails in it where he would need them as a rest for sitting, kneeling and standing. I finally bought a collapsable shooting stick from Cabelas for $35 and you know he broke it the first trip. Just can't beat the indestructiblity of a 2X2 when dealing with a teenager.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

my vote is for the 243. i still use mine. let him decide later. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

thanks guys?
I hadnt really thought to far beyound a youth rifle. I like the idea of cutting the stock and then putting it back on. He will probably be like me and never want to sell his first rifle so that will prabably work.
Besides caliber any sugestion about Make. Who does a better job with recoil. I know (might be wrong) that savages kick more, etc.