Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > The Basics, Starting Out

help with entry to long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Re: help with entry to long range shooting

very helpful post BH. and i appreciate all the resources you provide. hopefully that magical 1k isnt too far off for me. for now i guess i should prepare for 1k and practice at my 'comfort zone'

is there any particular leupold model i should prefer(ie: vx1, 2, etc)

hopefully i will get everything figured out and ordered soon. this site makes me anxious
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HAIRY GORILLA View Post
very helpful post BH. and i appreciate all the resources you provide. hopefully that magical 1k isnt too far off for me. for now i guess i should prepare for 1k and practice at my 'comfort zone'

is there any particular leupold model i should prefer(ie: vx1, 2, etc)

hopefully i will get everything figured out and ordered soon. this site makes me anxious
BHG- i prefer the variX3 - 6.5-20 ; for a less expensive scope i use a bushnell 6-24 ( 400) or a votex 6.5-20X 44( 260). i would prefer one of the remington heavy barrel nodels with a 26 inch barrel. after the .222 the 308 is one of the most forgiving /easy to find a good load for . have fun.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

oh man, where to start...

firstly, i will say i made alot of mistakes in the beginning when it came to rifle and supporting gear selection, which cost me alot more finacially and in wasted time during the long run replacing everything.

Second, you realize after making the first mistake, that precision gear is absolutely MANDATORY for you be to be successful in this sport and save yourself from banging your head against the wall because you cant get good enough accuracy at long range.

Third, within just a couple more days reading this forum even before you start shooting, you will realize that 300yds ISNT long range at all, and therfore your initial consideration of building to this will change very quickly if it hasnt already. You barely even need to consider drops or doping wind @ 300yds, its pretty much just point and shoot if you zero @ 200.

Fourth, a 308win is a poor choice of caliber for someone looking to start LR shooting. Its not that it cant do it, its simply that there are better options. For instance, without even considering other cases, the 260rem or 7mm-08 (both use a 308win case necked down) shoot flatter and have better LR bullets with high BC available, cost less to shoot, are still common factory chamberings, and use the same actions. If you start to look at other cases, then there are a world of options and you really should search the forum to weigh up the cost vs performance arguments for what you plan on shooting. If i were to build an accurate yet low cost 1000yd target rifle or small game and varmint to 1000yds right now, i would pick a 260rem. if i wanted to take LARGE game and upto 1000yds, then you have no choice and simply must have a more powerful magnum caliber and the cost goes up.

definatly get a 20MOA base for whatever scope you decide with good quality CNC rings... i like "Evolution gun works" and "tactical precision systems" for these, both have websites you can buy direct from... and i really would buy a decent scope first up. I know they're expensive, but the good scopes hold their value so if you want to sell it, you can almost get all your money back on it. nightforce scopes for sale on here dont last more than a few days when they come up before someone snaps them up. You need to realize that this is an expensive sport, no 2 ways about it. Theres is a whole lot more expensive gear to buy besides just your rifle and scope such as reloading gear and tools, laser rangefinder etc and without all this gear, you just cant be successful at long range.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 AM

You've gotten some good sugestions above to consider. I'd like to add my 2 cents. I'm abig fan of the 308 WIN It's my deer rifle of choice for so many reasons. Accuracy is the no. 1 reason. As far as scopes go, have you considered the sheperd?
It has a duplex crosshair minus the lower leg that remains the same size throughout the power range. It also has a series of circles below the duplex that are magnified as you crank the power up. the circles subtend 18" at whatever distance they are marked at,and they have a crosshair inside out to 500 yds. so it's like a rudimentary range finder you find the circle that the deer's brisket to back bone best fills and when you've found it you are already aiming at the vitals with the crosshair that is calibrated for the 308. at that distance. (you need a no.2 for the 308). Man it is so much easier to use than to explain but their brochure does a much better job than I can. IMO this is a quality scope with good coatings they were made in Japan when I bought mine, not sure if they still are. I would rather get a range on game with a laser than with this method but the cross hairs out to 500yds. are a nice touch and the duplex adjusts separately from the circles which makes it easier to tweek for the various ranges. mine is a 3 to 10x40 but they come in 6 to 18 power also. I hope this isn't too confusing. Good luck in your new hobby.
oscer
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

308 is a fine caliber, easy to shoot easy to load, and plenty of info out there to pull in on. I've gotten into the 300win Mag, but I'd pickup a 308 in a heartbeat.
Let's say I've been disappointed with Millet, maybe I didn't spend enough money.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Have not seen Vortex Optics mentioned in this thread. They have some very decent optics for good prices. They also have extremely good CS, and they are an american company (optics are made mostly in Japan however). Good people to deal with. Personally I would get something with 12 to 16x max power.

Good Shooting,
Gary
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

i would get a 26 inch barrel- sps varmint, vssf, or vs. or a 24 inch 5-r. just me. also i prefer a smaller objective lens on the scope than 50. for me a 6.5 -20X40 leup is ideal. the scope with a large objective has to be mounted high , then you have to install an adjustible cheek rest thing.